bad 'grind' undertone from my amp

skuller

Feb 25, 2007
SL, UT
www.myspace.com
recently ive noticed an annoying buzz, of sorts, coming from somewhere in my rig.

to give perspective: Mesa DR 3Channel > 4 ohm out > Mesa Road King Cab.

I noticed this sound the first time I ran the cab in 4 ohm. There is some sort of strange buzz, lingering beneath the tone I like from the amp. Hopefully this makes sense, but the amp sounds good, bar this obnoxious grinding sound (not a good grind) that seems to ride below the amp.

With my FX loop on, its not quite as noticeable (10 band EQ, decimator), but it is still there. I took some clips last night with a 57, and I can post it if I remember to bring it home (my studio has no internet access), but its really starting to bug me.

Any ideas as to what this could be? It doesn't sound like a blown speaker, as it's not popping. I've tried several instruments through the rig. Epiphone LP w/ stock pups, LTD F250 w/ EMG HZ4, LTD EC400 w/ EMG 81/85, Ibanez S7 w/ stock pups, and Epiphone LP w/ EMG 81/85. Not quite as noticeable w/ the actives, but still present.

I think it may be the tubes needing replacement, but then again I'm not sure. I have the amp running in silicon diode mode. Orange channel on 'vintage', and red channel on 'modern'. The sound isn't very noticeable at all on the green channel.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a grounding problem (particularily since it's less obvious with the actives). Try using the amp in another part of the house. Also try using a different guitar cable.

Also, is the RK cab 4 ohm? I thought it was 8ohm for all 4 speakers, but I don't have one...

Matt Crooks-
That sounds like an annoying, but completely plausible situation. I have only been running it out of one power supply. I will try that later this evening after work. Thanks for the suggestion.

The RK cab has 2 sets of 8 ohm in (one for each pair for 12's), and one 4 ohm in thats used to run all 4 12's.

kaomao-
Ill open it up tonight to check it out. Sounds like another annoying, but plausible scenario.:zombie:

Thanks for the comments. Feel free to post more if other ideas come up, as again, I don't have net access at my studio.