band camp

trobo3n8

Aug 7, 2003
north carolina
Visit site
this is probably gonna be long.. but it's funny

so anthrax is playing europe and we were staying at the Mayfair Hotel in london. We were all hanging out in the bar next to the front door when we saw a large group come in that included "Billy Idol". So we start yelling for billy to come to the bar. He checks in and a little while later comes in to the bar. So now this bar has all of anthrax AND Billy Idol. At some point some girl wants billy to sign... something. Apparently her boyfriend becomes jealous and after some chatter back and forth, he kisses billy on the lips. This gets things going pretty loud in the bar. Eventually it calms down until somebody from a group of suits and ties throws a shot glass that slams a pillar next to billy's head and showers billy and me and a few others with liquid and glass.(more damn glass throwing) That's when it got real loud. The barkeeper tries to shut down the bar, so billy and his guitarist at the time(not steve s) go behind the bar and start chatting up the barkeep. while he's not looking I convince billy to grab a huge bottle of Bacardi. As he's starting to walk out from behind the bar he drops the bottle and it clanks onto the floor which alerts the bartender. Billy immediately turns around and puts his arm around the barkeep and turns him away from the bottle on the floor. In the same fluid movement the guitarist walks away from the barkeep, bends down and picks up the bottle and walks out of the bar. It was poetry in motion. The old smoke and mirrors. Anyway, so the bar closes and we pile into the front lobby of this hotel and proceed to drink the bacardi. Everyone goes their separate ways and eventually we put together a pirate raid. Somebody grabbed a fire extinguisher and in the ensuing raids we get busted by hotel personel while trashing someone's room. We immediately claim we are with Billy Idol. Then bright and EARLY the next morning we see Billy checking out. Apparently the hotel asked him and his group to leave because of all the destruction that went on the previous night. billy hadn't done anything. It was us. And it was pretty clear that he had been woken up in order to be asked to leave.
years later i heard billy on a t.v. awards show, talk about the guy kissing him on the lips. I immediately said, "I was there."

Reactions: crystlpalace
youre right, they cancelled the shows for wednesday and the show after that , new date is scheduled for december 13th. Tonight I'm gonna see Death Angel, I hope!!!Got a lot off phonecalls from people warning me the show was cancelled, it's nice to have friends!!!

o.k. speaking of bruce cancelling shows.
back in 1990 ?? thrax and maiden were on tour in europe when after some show in gmy. bruce decided he was sick and we cancelled about 10 days. the best part was we ended up with some 7 days off in grenoble, france and another week or so in innsbruck, austria. of course it sucked for the band because they still had to pay me a salary even though they weren't getting paid. that happened a couple of different times. and he also got "sick" while we were touring in the states with them. man that guy gets sick alot. still love his voice though.

during the european monsters of rock tour in 1988,
thrax and maiden were playing like 1 show every 6 or 7 days so we were driving around in rent-a-cars tearing up the autobahn back and forth across europe. at the time our tour manager was rick downey, who was a major racing fanatic. i was in a car with art ring (the original roadie of death) and john roonie (co-writer of "i'm the man"). during one our days off we went to monaco. one of the key rules of traveling with rick was "don't lose him". of course he went through a red light, so we did too. and there was a "gendarme" standing in the intersection, and he got on his radio and called ahead and we got pulled over at the next intersection. one cop was talking to rick at his car and another was talking to artie at our car. the cop asked why we drove through the red light and artie said, "that guy ahead is our leader and we were just following him.". the cop responded with, "if he drives off of cliff do you follow him then ?" Now i told you that story to tell you this one. A day or so later we're traveling late at night doing over 100mph following rick and the band when we feel bumps in the road. rooney says from the back seat, "hey doesn't that mean a turn ahead ?" At that very second we see rick and the band going sideways thru the center of a "round-a-bout" and since we're right behind them going over 100mph, we end up sliding sideways thru the round-a-bout also. and then i start laughing and say " if he drives off cliff, you drive off too.". as it turns out the answer was "YES".

trobo3n8 said:
o.k. speaking of bruce cancelling shows.
back in 1990 ?? thrax and maiden were on tour in europe when after some show in gmy. bruce decided he was sick and we cancelled about 10 days. the best part was we ended up with some 7 days off in grenoble, france and another week or so in innsbruck, austria. of course it sucked for the band because they still had to pay me a salary even though they weren't getting paid. that happened a couple of different times. and he also got "sick" while we were touring in the states with them. man that guy gets sick alot. still love his voice though.

Charlie gets sick all the time, I guess.
After he got me sick, I thought, "I can't believe he can just keep playing every night feeling this way." There's no way I could feel that sick and tired and continue to play.

Tell us some more stories, please.

jdelpi said:
Don't lie. We know you got him sick.
:D
No, I seriously think he and I got sick from one of the dudes who works at the AT&T booth in a mall in St. Louis.