band recommendations

dreaming neon darkspot

natures' retard
May 13, 2002
in times of grace
Record & Tape Traders is doing their New Years Day sale today and i have my whole nice not-that-big paycheck to blow on cds since i think i've bought maybe 3 in the past year. i haven't been listening to that much metal lately, so i'm looking for recommendations of bands. i'm looking for stuff that's doom and heavier goth-ish (Lacuna Coil first cd) and maybe some grindcore. i'm going to see what i can find by Candlemass, Napalm Death (i'm such a bad metalhead, i don't have any cds by either band yet) and Solitude Aeternus since i listened to something of theirs probobly a year ago and never had the money to but any cds. so ... yeah. more bands.

i already have all but 2 of Opeth's cds

about all the metal i'm listening to as of now is just Nevermore, Opeth and My Dying Bride. There's Lacuna Coil, Anathema, and Slayer and some other bands like those thrown in, and the rest is pretty mainstream/not metal. a lot of Tori Amos and Fiona Apple, Korn, and 50 Cent since i got The Massacre free from work since it was a promo cd. i listen to the radio way too much. :erk:

dreaming neon darkspot said:
Record & Tape Traders is doing their New Years Day sale today and i have my whole nice not-that-big paycheck to blow on cds since i think i've bought maybe 3 in the past year. i haven't been listening to that much metal lately, so i'm looking for recommendations of bands. i'm looking for stuff that's doom and heavier goth-ish (Lacuna Coil first cd) and maybe some grindcore. i'm going to see what i can find by Candlemass, Napalm Death (i'm such a bad metalhead, i don't have any cds by either band yet) and Solitude Aeternus since i listened to something of theirs probobly a year ago and never had the money to but any cds. so ... yeah. more bands.
Oh laura you make me so happy for asking for doom recommendations. Doom is what i do.

Dan already beat me in recommending Confessor, if you dig Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus then you'll dig them. Since you like Anathema and My Dying Bride, let me recommend some doom bands along those lines.

Mourning Beloveth (especially the "Dust" album
Draconian
The Prophecy
How Like A Winter
Katatonia (if you havent heard them yet... Pretty much any cd will do, but I'd start with Brave Murder Day)

For "heavier goth" check out Tristania, really the only goth metal band i can listen to (good live to, saw them at Wacken).

ever since doing away with the heavy metal section (which was actually decent) and just putting everything into the general music section, Record & Tape Traders has become suckier. i looked for Moruning Beloveth and Solitude Aeternus, which they didn't have, and they were out of Candlemass, and didn't have the MDB cd i wanted. of course, i had to wait about a half an hour to leave because my brother wanted to come with me, and all he did was bitch and complain about how long it took me to pick out cds.

my haul was pretty good, though.
Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
Carcass - Swansong
Glenn Danzig - Black Aria
Soundgarden - Down on the Upside
Switchblade Symphony - Serpentine Gallery
Depeche Mode - Ultra
... all for $36.

thanks for the recommendations, Max. i may just sneak out of my house and brave the horrific crowds in that store again to see if they have any of those bands.

I stopped going to the record and tape traders here about two years ago, the metal section kept shrinking and shrinking, eventually couldn't find anything to buy there anymore .. never went back.

dreaming neon darkspot said:
thanks for the recommendations, Max. i may just sneak out of my house and brave the horrific crowds in that store again to see if they have any of those bands.
No prob. And i recommend that if you cant find any of those bands to utilize internet webstores. www.theendrecords.com and www.redstream.org are the cheapest, most reliable, and generally have the best selections.

Oh and if you ever want more doom recommendations, thats what i'm here for.

Get anything by Carcass, get Ashes by Tristania if you don't already have it, and of course, get Ghost Reveries by Opeth ^_^

grind? PIG DESTROYER - PROWLER IN THE YARD
pigdestroyer.gif