Bands like Venom?

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Virtually every blackened thrash band, except that most of them find the time to be good, whereas Venom didn't. And Venom is not black metal.

blahblahblah, If "Welcome To Hell" and "Black Metal" aren't Black Metal albums then neither are Bathory, Sodom, or Hellhammer's debuts. No, Venom's early albums don't sound like Beherit or Moonblood, but how can one even begin to deny their historical importance to Black Metal's evolution?!

EDIT: And yes, Venom sucked live and Cronos was always a terrible vocalist. The difference between them and other bands with that problem is that they were innovators with plenty of energy.

I don't care. They were always thrash. Ideology doesn't determine genre, sound does, and their sound was thrash. End.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
I don't care. They were always thrash. Ideology doesn't determine genre, sound does, and their sound was thrash. End.

Having 4 or 5 Thrash riffs an album doesn't make them a Thrash band. If you want to strip it to bare bones, they were much more relative to a Motorhead-esque Speed Metal. Anyway, however you want to look at it, you have to recognize their historical importance.

Yes, they were historically important. They helped bands who would later be categorized as black metal to find a purpose and direction. I can agree with that.

I consider them Black Metal.. maybe not by today's standards but certainly at the time they came out considering what was out at the time. All music genre's evolve and have to start somewhere and Venom certainly were the beginnings of BM. I wonder where BM would be today if Venom had never came out or if BM would have ever existed . :kickass:

Bulldozer are good.

Back in the 80's, your idealogy and sound determined your genre. Any band that had satanic lyrics was considered black metal.

But today, it's definetely the sound that determines genre.

I say Venom coined the term "black metal" to describe any band with Satanic lyrics. But then these new black metal bands came out like Darkthrone, Burzum, Mayhem, Emperor and Immortal. I think the band that really defined what we know as black metal today was Dark Funeral though. They had the intensity, Satanism, screams and blastbeats from pretty early on.

I know Venom isnt black metal, and thats why I like them. I get sick of all the elitist black metal with the minimalistic crap that bores me to death. Venom was wildly "out there" and introduced Satanism to music for the most part. And if you honestly believe that "ideology doesn't determine genre, sound does", then you should be perfectly fine with all those Christian "black metal" bands too, shouldn't you?

TaylorC said:
And if you honestly believe that "ideology doesn't determine genre, sound does", then you should be perfectly fine with all those Christian "black metal" bands too, shouldn't you?
Yes, I am.

Warfare- Mayhem Fuckin Mayhem. Cronos helped produced it and is featured on track 4 of the album. So not only does it sound like Venom, you're gonna get a little of Venom as well haha