Bands "resurrected from the dead?!"

ihsan

metal fan
Jul 8, 2006
england
www.ihsan.co.uk
Well I thought it would be an interesting discussion to have about the kind of thing that sometimes happens, that you just never thought would - something like when the original line-up of Judas Priest got back together again with Rob Halford at the helm on "Angel of Retribution", or when Michael Schenker and Phil Mogg put their past behind them and reformed the (pretty much) definitive line-up of UFO on "Walk on Water" (though that didn't last long)... it's that strange moment of disbelief when you hear about it, you're either mystified or struck dumb with shock, but when it finally sinks in you think "Awesome!"

I had that "I don't believe it" experience recently when one of my absolute greatest bands, which had seemingly disintegrated and died a death on the departure of some very key members, announced their return - a comeback, a resurrection! The band I'm talking about hails from that bastion of metal, Germany - that band is ANGEL DUST.

Back in 2001, having undergone a strange and somewhat bitter parting with top guitarist and key contributor Bernd Aufermann right before their last album, the much-loved vocalist Dirk Thurisch then left after it was released, as did bassist and co-founder Frank Banx, and the world was in tatters and the fire had died. There still seemed to be something of a glowing ember when the announcement came of a new Geoff Tate-esque vocalist, Carsten Kaiser (formerly of Everflow), but that was right at the back end of 2005, soon after which a new album was announcement, but which sadly appeared to be just a false dawn.

For the Angel Dust fan the dark age had just gotten darker, what little news there was became no news, it just couldn't get any worse, and it looked like, finally, this was the bitter end...

A year and a half later and suddenly a fierce flame enlightens the darkness - the flare comes courtesy of axeman Bernd Aufermann returning to the fold, rejoining the two remaining members from the definitive line-up of two albums ago, Dirk Assmuth (drums) and Steven Banx (keys); the new album is "re-announced" with a little fanfare, details are divulged of the songs recorded so far, while Aufermann and Kaiser break the silence and begin working the media (a little)...

...And suddenly all is looking good for Angel Dust and their fans, though not without a little trepidation it seems, but things seem to be moving along nicely and there is, incredibly, after all that's happened, a great hope!

New vocalist Carsten Kaiser has revealed on the Angel Dust forum some news about the new album, how he feels about being the new vocalist, and his approach to the new Angel Dust recordings - his comments can be read here.

Also while veteran Angel Dust guitarist Bernd Aufermann makes a much-welcomed return to the band on this provisionally-titled seventh new album "VII", said to be released late 2007, he explains in some detail in an interview on metal.de (in German) about what's been going on in the lead up and recording of the new songs.

The new band line-up can be seen on the official site here, confirming original veteran members Dirk Assmuth (drums), Bernd Aufermann, Steven Banx (Keys), and the new members Carsten Kaiser and Christian Pohlmann (bass, friend of former vocalist Dirk Thurisch).

Needless to say, the excitement is building now for the release of the new album!

Well after this roller-coaster ride of torment and pain that now seems to be rising to crescendo of pleasure, it would be interesting to hear what stories others have to say about beloved bands that seemingly went 6 feet under, yet somehow returned from the dead - did they rise phoenix-like, as you hoped, brilliant and bright? Or disappointly unearthed as an old rotten zombie, making you wish they hadn't bothered, just a decomposing remnant of its former self?