Bands Similar To Zero Hour?

Eyesore

Apr 9, 2002
Boston
www.eyesoretimes.com
I've been a music fan for 16 years now, since I was 14. It started with Def Leppard and has continued to evolve my tastes ever since. I've been into prog-metal bands for a long time, but generally more of the prog-metal bands that lean towards the power metal side of the spectrum: Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Pagan's Mind, etc. It wasn't until a few years ago that I discovered Zero Hour by way of Travis Smith's badass artwork. I saw Metamorphosis in the used bin and immediately knew the artwork and scoffed the CD up! The same thing happened with the first Redemption CD around the same time.

Since then I've been really digging this heavier, groovier form of prog-metal and have been trying to find as many bands as possible that play in this similar style. There doesn't seem to be many, though. But I've found some! On the metalreviews.com messageboard I usually make a post when I discover a new band or feel that a band is worthy of being heard. Here are those posts, in case anyone is like me and is interested in similar bands. And by all means, if you know more please pass it along!!

WASTEFALL

Man, Sensory/Laser's Edge is quickly becoming a label that I totally believe in. If they say it's prog-metal, but also heavy, I'm a fucking believer. Zero Hour, of course, being the band that first introduced me to the label. Then came Redemption, Spiral Architect, Circus Maximus and most recently Degree Absolute. Each band is killer. Each band exactly as Sensory described. No bullshit trickery.

So earlier today I'm perusing the music store next to where I'm taking a real estate course and I see this random band called Wastefall in the Misc W section. The sticker says they're a heavy prog-metal band from Greece. Interesting. The cover looks cool. I flip it over...BAM!...Sensory! SOLD!

Once again this label delivers the goods! This is for fans of those bands I mentioned above. This shit is heavy and proggy, but not self-indulgent where you get lost trying to follow the song. The songs are definitely proggy with that seemingly discordant instrumentation that somehow contradicts itself and mixes seemlessly, and it's also damn catchy. No instrumentals either except for maybe the short Dead Can Dance-like intro, but that's chanting. I've listened once and was very impressed [I've listened to it countless times since, of course]. They have three albums total, this album I bought, Self Exile, is their latest. Check them out:

From Self Exile (2006):
h35890sehi4.jpg

THE MUZZLE AFFECTION (Full Song)

From Soulrain 21 (2004):

EMPTY HAVEN
STUNNED TO THE WORLD
LESSER
SELF-EXTINCTION PROJECT

From Falling Stars And Rising Scars (2003):

KILLING OF WOLVES
APRIL'S RUIN (add the apostrophe in the word "april's" in the link, apostrophes fuck up the BB code)

DEGREE ABSOLUTE

I stumbled across this CD the other day in a local music shop. I thought the artwork was cool—generall it's what catches my eye first if I don't know the band. I read the little blurb on the CD case and it sounded like something I'd be into, especially considering it was a prog-metal album on Sensory, a label who seems to be quite consistent. Anyway, Degree Absolute be their name and if you like Zero Hour, Spiral Architect and/or Redemption you should give 'em a listen.

Apparently this album has been a long time in the making, but since I never knew it was coming, it was worth the wait! Hehe. One thing I found odd is their instrumentals. Is it odd that a prog-metal band has an instrumental or two on their CD? Not at all, but three in a frickin' row? Yeah, that's odd.

h17756ps8he.jpg

LAUGHING ALONE (Full Song)
PI
DISTANCE
HALFMANHALFBISCUIT
ERGO SUM

http://www.degreeabsolute.com

REDEMPTION

Redemption was another discovery courtesy of Travis Smith and his artwork. I learned long ago that Travis generally works with bands that I'd like. He's branching out more now so I've been more cautious in buying CDs that he's worked on, but in general I think most of his work is featured on some great CDs. Redemption is no different. Their debut CD had some of the coolest album art I'd ever seen. It was very simple in nature, but it just grabbed me, there was a lot to be derived from the art. So when I saw it in the local used bin for $8 I grabbed it.

Immediately I loved the album! Moreover, Ray fucking Alder was doing some guest spots on the CD. Always a plus! Since then he's joined as full time singer and they've released a second CD, which is even better than the debut...and that CD was awesome! They're a heavy prog-metal band with some slight power metal leanings, crushing riffs, lots of atmosphere, great solos, but never self-indulgent. Definitely worth picking up after you fall in love with these clips! =)

From The Fullness Of Time (2005):
g90651amkr7.jpg

THREADS (Full Song)

From Redemption (2002):
f81229fpurw.jpg

DESPERATION PART I
DESPERATION PART II
DESPERATION PART III
DESPERATION PART IV
NOCTURNAL
WINDOW TO SPACE
AS I LAY DYING
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES (24 minutes long on the CD! Whooo!)

I'm sure most of you have heard these bands, but if not definitely give them a listen. They're all great!

They are indeed great bands, I remember way back in the day I bought Redemption's debut with Towers of Avarice, and the two albums got played back to back to back to back for weeks. :kickass:

You want might to check out Spiral Architect's A Sceptic's Universe. Really great CD with alot of technical stuff going on. I just heard Redemption for the first time the other day, and I was blown away. It was fucking amazing. I need to go buy their CDs this weekend.

Hey guy's this is a cool topic and I know everyone is always looking for new bands to listen too. The band that has hit me most in the last couple of years is Sikth. They just put out their first USA release about week and a half ago and it's amazing. One of my students who who just came to Ca. three years ago from the UK (Rich YOU RULE) played me this band and I was hooked. They do the mix off hardcore vocals but also has great clean vocals and areas that sound like Devin Townsend at times.

I'm sure a few of you know about them and I always push music I think is great and if you have a chance to check out Sikth you'll find a lot to listen to.

I go up to Dino's to hear the Zero Hour mixes tomorrow and I'm very excited to finally hear them all come together. We're getting close and I can't wait for you all to hear it.......The whole band is very excited.

METAL!!

Jasun/ZH

I go up to Dino's to hear the Zero Hour mixes tomorrow and I'm very excited to finally hear them all come together. We're getting close and I can't wait for you all to hear it.......The whole band is very excited.

Really great to hear Jasun!

Some other prog metal with a heavier feel
Fragile Vastness A tribute to life. This really versitle with lots of world music elements to it. It lacks just a bit of consitancy but is well worth the effort( for me this is pushing prog metal in an interesting direction and has a new degree of emotional depth).
Yes Wastefull Self Exile and Soulrain21 are really good prog metal disc's and if you want something a bit more different try Cryril Archid Morbid Feelings and Arabesque The Union.
Metal Jam from Brazil are also worth checking out; pretty heavy with good chops
Not sure why Greece is producing such quality stuff; I guess music has it cycles of growth that come from places I would never really imagine.
I must finally check out Redemption soon!

Yes, yes...Spiral Architect's A Sceptic's Universe is a classic. I hope someday for a second release. Another band I should mention is Communic. Someone mentioned them recently so I downloaded some songs from their new album! KILLER! Both of their albums are currently on their way to me. I'll have a better idea of how good they are when the CDs arrive. Check these out, though:

From Waves Of Visual Decay (2006):
waves.jpg

UNDER A LUMINOUS SKY
MY BLEEDING VICTIM

From Conspiracy In Mind (2005):
g90556ig9ta.jpg

HISTORY REVERSED
COMMUNICATION SUBLIME

Sounds like Zero Hour meets Nevermore with some almost-Halford-like wails. Excellent stuff. Can't wait to get the real CDs! "Under A Luminous Sky" gives me chills when the singer wails on that line!

Also, this week at Metal Reviews someone reviewed an album called Mental Torments by the band Spheric Universe Experience. I've never heard of them prior to that, but the samples sound awesome; a little more Dream Theater than Zero Hour, but it still sounds excellent. I'm on the hunt for this one now! =)

From Mental Torments (2005):
30034954.jpg

SO COLD
NOW OR NEVER
BURNING BOX GALA
SATURATED BRAIN
MOONLIGHT
HALLEYGRETTO
MENTAL TORMENTS
ECHOSE OF THE STARS
SIDEREAL REVOLUTION

As for Sikth, I've never heard them, but the comparisons to Between The Buried And Me have turned me off because I think that band is extremely confused. So many great MOMENTS, but hardly a great song to be found. I'll give them a listen, though.

And I can't wait for the new Zero Hour, 2006 has been a badass year for metal (and other genres, too) so it's good to know there are still some great albums to look forward to in the last half of the year (new albums by Zero Hour, Pro-Pain, Ani Difranco, Tesla (Hopefully), Helmet, Strapping Young Lad, Cellador, Black Label Society, Seemless, and tons more).

Ken

Whoa, they rock! Thanks for the info bro! I gotta confess I am a fan of that DM/clean vox transition and the way they (like you guys) use instruments outside their normal roles, to make full use of all the kinds of sound combinations to push their music forward. Interesting stuff! :kickass:

You rule

I'm on a fucking mission! Hahaha. I was checking out the clearance items over at Sensory the other day and couldn't pass up some of the deals they had going on. For $39 I got 6 CDs and one CD single. All brand new, sealed albums, too! I got the following:

Behind The Curtain - Till Birth Do Is Part for $4
Dark Moor - From Hell (CD single w/2 Non-LP Tracks) for $2.50
Dark Moor - The Gates Of Oblivion for $5
Dreamaker - Human Device for $5
Fairyland - Of Wars In Osyrhia for $5
Fifth Reason - Within Or Without for $6 *
Prototype - Trinity for $6 *

* More Travis Smith artwork (he fucking rules)!

There are a ton of other great deals there and I had a ton more in my shopping cart, but decided on spending no more than $40 and this is what I got. Some shit there seems a little over-priced for "clearance" items, but there's still a ton of great metal albums for cheap, cheap prices. Definitely check it out.

Main Website: LASER's EDGE
Sensory Deals: SENSORY

Anyway, two bands I think are worth mentioning in this thread. The first is Behind The Curtain. I know nothing of the band except for what is described on Senory's page. The description and the $4 price tag just made too much sense! The vocalist sounds a bit like Roy Khan from Kamelot, musically they're similar to the bands already mentioned in this thread, but I think they're a bit lighter, not as heavy. Quality-wise, though, they're right up there with the rest. This album has surprised me! It's damn good. Whether or not it has that non-expiring shelf life, I'm not sure. I've listened through only twice since yesterday, but so far I get the impression I will continue to love this album!

Till Birth Do Us Part came out in 1999, they have a previous demo and a promo EP from 2001, but I think this is likely the only release that'll be easy to find. Since there is no website for this band out there, or much info at that, I uploaded one song to yousendit. Check it out! If it expires before you hear it let me know and I'll re-upload it.

e10118o9k0d.jpg

BEHIND THE CURTAIN - ILLUSORY

Another band worth checking out is Prototype. This is another band that uses Travis Smith so I've been looking for their albums for a while now (his work on their new album looks killer!). I love to support artists, but I buy so much music I can't afford to pay full price for everything I buy, especially stuff only available on import. So bands like this get put on the long list, the bands I will pay full price for go on the short list. Anyway, this album is so good, their new album has gone on the short list! =)

They're a prog-metal band, but they're more Nevermore than they are Zero Hour. They're just not as wacky time signature friendly, you know? They're a lot more "standard" with their songs. Trinity is very good and the songs you can stream from their new album sound great, as well. Definitely give them a listen if you like other prog-metal bands like Redemption, Zero Hour, and like I mentioned, Nevermore (though I don't consider them prog-metal).

f140620pqhn.jpg

LIVE A LIE (Full Track)
TRINITY (Full Track)
CHRYSALIS *

Samples from their new album are on their MYSPACE page.

* One of two bonus tracks (both included on the $6 Sensory version)

More bands that I'm trying to find albums by: NovAct (http://www.novact.nl), Knight Area (http://www.knightarea.com)and Anti-Depressive Delivery (http://www.snotpope.com/anti_depressive_delivery). If you know anything of these bands, please let me know! :headbang:

I hear you Kenneth on everything you say bro and really STOKED you dig Sikth.

Looks like Eyesore is finding some awesome deals.....NICE!!!

METAL!!!

Jasun

I listened to the Sikth stuff and it's much better than I expected, but I think I'd need to let it simmer with me for a while. I love heavy shit, but for some reason with music like that I don't like the screaming. 100 times better than Between The Buried And Me, though. If I can find a deal on this Sikth album I'll buy it. Right now it's $15.99 around here and I need a sale on this one. Hehehe.

Yeah, I'm finding some good deals. I've had 15 years practice. If I can wait for an album I can usually find deals, but trust me, I spend far too much on albums at regular retail price. I spend $50 a week, at least, on music, usually far more. It's my heroin. If I ever won the lottery I'd call up Den at Sentinel Steel and go, "One of everything, please." Haha.

holy crap. cuz of this thread i thought i'd check out Sikth.

holy crap is an understatement. i am thoroughly enjoying this. so....fricking...awesome!!!!! :headbang:

I got Trinity last year and just couldn't figure it the hell out. Vince's vocals are total garbage, while Pat McGrath's drumming was phenomenal. Metal Archives has a review of this I totally agreed with. I haven't seen more of a misrepresentation of a prog band than with this one. The music has no teeth.

Early Coroner is great if you're into the chaotic changes in ZH.

I would also suggest Atheist, an early Death-Jazz-thrash fusion band in the vein of Death and Cynic (even had common members). On They Slay is fantastic. They started off brutal and then went into more experimental realms. They also have a thread on their message board where they speak of how they came to play this stuff and how they learned this style. Pretty interesting. The link I posted is for their online streamer, so check it out.

Pffft! I find Trinity to be excellent. I can't agree with anything you said about that album. No teeth? No way. Sure, it's not really heavy prog, but it's also more straight up metal than prog anyway.

I'm trying it again and Vince's emo vocals are already annoying me. The music is inline with hard emo, seriously. It's like bordering on hard pop. Like heavy guitar and drum infused punk-emo stuff. Can't figure them out for the life of me. They try to reside on both sides of the fence all the time and the results are garbage.

sknight said:
I'm trying it again and Vince's emo vocals are already annoying me. The music is inline with hard emo, seriously. It's like bordering on hard pop. Like heavy guitar and drum infused punk-emo stuff. Can't figure them out for the life of me. They try to reside on both sides of the fence all the time and the results are garbage.
You definitely can't figure them out if you're insisting there is any emo on this album at all.