Bands you use to love, who you're losing/lost interest in...

I use to feel similar. I wasn't impressed with BWP when it first came out. However, now I'd count it among their finest works. Have you revisited it recently?

Zod

I've always sort of felt the reverse. I enjoy My Arms, Your Hearse but never really got into Orchid or Morningrise. Also, I prefer Deliverance to Still Life, though I'm sure that's not a common preference among their fans.

No, I am referring to specific posters such as yourself. I simply mean that I have watched patterns and can tell you already whose taste is moving on from the standard prog/power scene based on prior posts.

Glenn

I disagree about "tastes moving on" because for every band that we might feel has dropped the ball, another 2 pick it up. Some bands people originally didn't care for too much before, we can absolutely love a few albums later. Some bands are just puting out melodically lazy albums and that has nothing to do with a move away from enjoyment of a particular style of music.

For example, Kamelot were on fire with the previous four releases. I understand that the new one is more mid-tempo and gothic than previous albums, but that's not my problem with it. There's less of these great melodies and orchestral accents and more plain power chords for Khan to sing ho-hum melodies over. The new Kamelot isn't a bad album, but any means, it just contains less amazing songs than previous releases.

On the flip side, you have the new Nightwish album, which I will be the first to say, is by far their best album to date. The way the choruses are written and the hooks are disperse throughout that album you feel freshness and creativity taken to a whole new level without the band dramatically even altering their core songwriting style.

And I will be the first to say how amazing Serenity, Spheric Universe Experience, Volbeat, and Pathos Ray all are picking up the slack from the others (like Rhapsody, Stratovarius). This one of the most exciting Prog Powers for me, because there are all these newer bands out there writing amazing music.

That all said, I still think Dream Theater should be tied to or connected to Prog Power in some way (at least appearance, clinic or endorsement by Mike Portnoy or something). I'm amazed that they are not. DT is the defining band for this genre of music if you ask me :) Of course, Helloween is the defining power metal band... and we've sadly yet to see them. I know, I know... too expensive, won't reply to your responses or whatever :loco:

Peace,
Michael

most of the Swedish melodeth, I loved In Flames, Soilwork and Arch Enemy through their first several CD's but they seem to be going to "American" for me, getting to sound like American metalcore, except maybe AE, but still their last two release have done nothing for me. Children of Bodom I loved through Follow the Reaper. I still love Kamelot but Ghost Opera was not quite as good as Black Halo and I'm worried about them. Iced Earth, though I like the new release ok, I guess I'll probably never like them again as much as the Barlow era stuff. Iron Maiden, I hate to say, Brave New World was a great comeback after several bad albums but the last two I haven't liked. Dream Theater's last two have done nothing for me. My beloved Queensryche mostly lost me after Promised Land, although I'll probably always buy anything they put out. Many more I'm sure but those come to mind.

Hmm...this is an easy list for me.

Evergrey - After seeing them at ProgPower something changed for me and I just can't put on their albums anymore. I try and then I quickly find myself changing to something else. I even liked MMA...
Children of Bodom - This band went from my favorite live band to my least favorite live band. These guys used to have so much energy. I have some great show/tour stories because of these guys from early on...no longer.
Shadow Gallery - Honestly, I find Tyranny to be so much better than their last two albums...and knowing that I will probably never see these guys live is a huge letdown.
Spock's Beard - After the lineup change I was pretty disinterested, but now that I've seen them live (and seen what those guys are like in person) and gotten that out of my system I'm pretty much done.
Savage Circus - This one is easy. I LOVED Dreamland Manor, but seeing that performance at ProgPower killed anything I had for the band.
Dream Theater - *yawn*.

Angra came pretty close to making this list. We'll see. Also, I am going to buck the forum trend here and state quite firmly that I still absolutely LOVE In Flames. I love every album, even the last three. I think that Come Clarity is amazing and a pretty solid album. When it came down to it, I realized the band's heart & soul isn't/wasn't in the early stuff (oh how many times I've heard them all say they hate The Jester Race)...I actually find it much harder to listen to now than the last 4-5 albums. I will definitely blind purchase their next album.

I've always sort of felt the reverse. I enjoy My Arms, Your Hearse but never really got into Orchid or Morningrise. Also, I prefer Deliverance to Still Life, though I'm sure that's not a common preference among their fans.

Deliverance is great. I'm a huge fan of all of the Opeth albums and I never understood why people never got into that album.

Edit: It's really interesting to see Evergrey making a lot of peoples' lists. Maybe it's an over-saturation thing? Given how much exposure they've gotten at ProgPower...

Iced Earth - I really dont like Tim copycat Owens,i think Barlow was such a big part of their uniqueness that when Owen joined they degraded themselves to bad Priest-copies. The song quality has sunken too for the last two albums,strangely because Horror Show that came before is my favourite Iced Earth album. No must-buy for Iced Earth any longer.
Ozzy - Well, even the Sabbath material has somewhat lost it´s appeal to me after seing that horrible MTV-show.

Since the original thread didn't mention you had to stay in the metal realm, I am going to include other groups as well.

Tom Petty-His stuff used to be great. Too many slow or mid tempo songs now. Probably hasn't had a great album since Full Moon. Still fantastic to see in concert.

The Doors-Still really like the band. I am just not as enthralled with them as I used to be in my teens and twenties. I guess it helps to have youthful angst to really love the group.

Dokken-Only have had one really good album in the last 20 years or so (Erase the Slate). Their stuff in the 80s was great. A shame they broke up at the height of their popularity.

Sonata Arctica-Not sure what has happened with this group. Started out like gangbusters with the first 2 albums. Then they slowly went downhill. Unia is just unlistenable drivel. Then they give a lackluster performance at ProgPower where they didn't play any of my favorite 5 songs. Very disappointed in them.

Iron Maiden-Still love the group. But not as much as I used to. Lately I haven't liked the production of their albums. Have a muddy tone to them. Just not crystal clear. Listen to the Martin Birch produced albums and then come back to the last couple of albums. Not even close in production value. I like being able to hear Bruce sing clearly and not struggle to hear what exactly he is singing.

Queensryche-Probably peaked with the first Mindcrime. Haven't come close to that level since. The sequel wasn't bad. It just didn't have the memorable songs of the first one. The first one had songs which could play alone without knowing the backstory unlike the sequel. I do believe that Tate has regained his voice in the last few years. My favorite concert of theirs was when they did the first Mindcrime with the actors a few years ago. Wasn't as good when they did 1 and 2 together.

I personally think you have to wait at least a couple of albums before you say a group is going downhill. I didn't like Ghost Opera as much as Black Halo (which is my favorite album by them BTW), so I am not ready to bury Kamelot as much as some people here. I still follow all the groups mentioned above. And I still buy their albums. Just don't love them as much as I used to.

Dream Theater- After awake they slowly departed to much from their roots. It's like they only want to do the complex stuff and just make some cash instead of the music they once did. While I do think the new one was abit of a step in the right direction still no where near the old. Heck I'd even take "Falling Into Infinity" at this point.

Bon Jovi- This is one band I grew up on. But their most recent album is sad.. mixing country with rock poorly. While there are a couple tracks I thought were ok it's no where near where they once were.

Kamelot- While I thought the new album was decent , it was the same basic formula as before, it could be prodicted all the way. I'd like to see something new and fresh. While I loved "Black Halo" I felt the new one attempted to much of it's style, but with lack of new to offer it felt short.

What can I say? It's the album that got me into the band

It's amazing just how often this rings true. Morningrise got me into the band and remains my favorite of theirs. In doing an informal case study throughout the years, it seems that one's first album exposure to a band they end up really liking tends to coincide with that album being judged as the best. Zod's first exposure was Still Life, which remains his favorite as well.

Jason

with regards to Opeth they are one of my favorite bands. I don't really care for the early stuff, Still Life is my favorite with Ghost Reveries second (blasphemy to many I know) with Black Water Park, Deliverance and Damnation all very close after.

Understood.

It's interesting (well, relatively speaking). Though I have less interest in Prog and Power, it still makes up a significant portion of my Top 10 every year. I suspect because I'm older, I have less interest in generic Prog and Power bands (which make up 99% of any genre), because I've been listening to these genres for so long. However, the stand out CDs in the Prog/Power genre, which are those more likely to make a Top 10 list, still resonate with me very strongly.

So, while I currently have more interest in second tier Extreme Metal bands than I do second tier Prog and Power bands, I still have an equal amount of interest in the top tier bands, regardless of genre.

Did that make sense to anyone but me? :loco:

Zod

I think I fall in here somewhere. I don't know if it's because I'm older or if I'm spoiled, or what. But I find it real challenging to get excited about just anything. It really takes something special. And I'm not even sure what that looks like anymore.o_O

Kamelot - ...I also cannot stand the stylistic direction of the last two albums. Khan even said in an interview that they're "trying to be more gothic" for marketing purposes, give me a break.

Where is Khan quoted as saying this? I'd like to read the context in which he allegedly made such a remark of adding gothic elements for marketing purposes (versus doing so because they simply personally like a gothic vibe in parts of their songs).

Eric Johnson--Not a band, but certainly an aritst I used to love. After his Alien Love Child album, I've found myself bored with his later releases. His live performance is really lacking these days, too.

Manowar--I hadn't heard much power metal when I first heard them, so they rocked me hard. After I checked out their discography in full, I still listened to them with at least a tongue-in-cheek attitude. Now they just piss me off with their rehashed lyrics and "We're the best band in the universe" shtick.

Queensryche--I gave up on them ten years ago. They haven't made so much as one song I like since they released Promised Land.

Racer X--Everything they done up to and including Superheroes is brilliant. Getting Heavier, however, was the biggest load of stoner rock bullshit I've ever heard.

Sonata Arctica--When I heard Silence, I was blown away. I thought Winterheart's Guild was even better. Their last two albums didn't impress me as much as the previous ones. Now that I've seen them in concert twice, I question how much their hearts are in it, as well.

Where is Khan quoted as saying this? I'd like to read the context in which he allegedly made such a remark of adding gothic elements for marketing purposes (versus doing so because they simply personally like a gothic vibe in parts of their songs).

He mentions how the elements have more to do with the promo pictures, album art, and videos than they do with the music, and how they're doing it to tap into the gothic market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man for a While I couldn't get enough Khan through Kamelot or rehashing his Conception material. Currently, nothing works. I still think he's one of my favorite vox. But I'm really gettin' bored.
As for Queensryche.....come on really? They haven't done anything good in years. They've just been riding on their former success.:Smug:

I am a HUGE Kamelot fan... I mean seriously HUGE... Every album has a different story to tell (spare Epica & Black Halo with the Faust inspiration) and it's own way of telling it... I'm really just a flat out geek for them..

And reading that some now find them boring or predictable :OMG: WHAT!?!?!?!?! DO WHAT!?!?!?!

I just.. I just cannot even fathom the thought... I have a hard time NOT listening to their CDs - I listen to them ALOT, constantly at work...

And Edguy - althought Rocket Ride was WAY different than not only Hellfire Club but all their other discs, I enjoy it for what it is... It's not their best but I do like it... (Edguy use to be my #1 'til I discovered Kamelot... :) )

Lost Horizon - I Love their two discs - and Daniel and Fredrick's band, HEED - The Call is a kick ass disc...

... still trying to wrap my head around Kamelot being predictable... Just plain crazy... CRAZY I tell ya!!!

I agree with your sentiments JenniferLynn. Seems like a lot of people on this thread are already giving up on them after just this current release that they don't enjoy. Not sure if I was an athlete or musician if I would ever do an interview. You can twist words to whatever suits your needs. Absolutely amazing.