Bare Knuckle Aftermath Review/Demo

H3ADLY

New Metal Member
Though I'd post a short review about my Aftermath!

Bare Knuckle Aftermath, Bridge Position, Ceramic magnet, 14.7KΩ

I have been playing with the Bare Knuckle Aftermath for almost 3 years now. Since the day I first installed it, it has been an absolute joy to play! It is my go to pickup when I am playing anything lower than A as I have found for my playing style, this is where it excels.

It is currently installed in my Ibanez RG7321. Basswood body, maple/walnut neck, rosewood finger board, tuned to drop G#. Running through an Axefx Ultra direct into ProTools 10 for recording and also running into the AxeFx into a Carvin TS100 into an Orange PPC412.

Low end is thick and brilliantly clear. Little to no mud, allowing for the low strings to punch hard and fast without clouding your mix. This is where the Aftermath really shines for me. You hear all the low notes with great accuracy and is an absolute pleasure to chug on. Tight as F****!

The midrange emphasis of this pickup also helps with that tightness. It is quite aggressive and has a really ‘throaty’ character and not so much ‘crunch’. Its midrange is aggressive, which helps bringing the guitar forward in the mix. The prominence of the guitar was increased dramatically after installing the pickup, making it very well suited for low tuned guitars.

The highs are bright but smooth. The Aftermath has a nice zing in the top end which for me, adds that little bit more juice for high gain stuff and helps with its great articulation, but equally makes playing clean stuff quite lively and clear.

Overall clarity of the pickup is great! Chords ring big and true, with note separation being spectacular. Single note passages are really well defined, and sustain quite nicely. Pinch harmonics are easy across the board and it reacts truthfully to pick attack giving you a great sense when digging in with your pick. It is equally suited to rhythm and lead playing styles.

The only problem I have come across with this pickup is it does have quite a compressed feel. In the low tuned chuggy stuff that I enjoy using the Aftermath for, this is not an issue. However, in higher tunings I did find the compressed feel made some notes untastefully ‘squeaky’, as if there was too much compression applied. Dialling out some of the higher mids did help this though.

Overall, the Bare Knuckle Aftermath is a sensational pickup! Very well suited to lower tuned guitars, but with the right EQ will sit well in higher tuned guitars also. Be mindful of its compressed dynamics, but don’t be put off by it! This thing really does roar! Tight, punchy, clear and articulate! All the things I like in a pickup!

Check out the short clip I recorded recently with the BK Aftermath to get a sense of how it sounds in a low tuned metal style. Leave your thoughts on this pickup, as well as any questions you may have. I hope this short review has given a little insight into this brilliant pickup.
Cheers!

http://youtu.be/LDA6PFfuxNg

Thanks for tour review,
nice tone and playing.
I was thinking for a BK for my Schecter Hellraiser C7 EMG but too much cash for me...

Sounds pretty good. A lot of people love them. I haven't been able to get mine to sound right for me but I will give them another shot in even lower tunings.