Bass amps

Impy

Impale/Exhale
Jan 21, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
www.sepiadreamer.tk
I've been thinking of getting a new bass amp since mine's been broken for about 7 years now, i'm not looking to spend a lot of cash since i pretty much only use it for rehearsing.
I was playing a buddy's JJlabs rig and i was blown away by how good it sounded considering it costs peanuts. I think it was a 300 watt model or something like that with 2 cabs, 4X12's...
Anyone have any other tips for bass amps in the range of say 500-800 euros? (600-1000 bucks americano)
That would be the price including cab...
That JJlabs amp with 2 4x12's costs about 1000 euros or so but i would be looking at just one cab.

The current Gallien-Krueger is pretty good sounding. SWR has also put out some more affordable ams these days. It's solid state, but has a lot of tone options. Some of the modern Peavey believe it or not is pretty good these days too. All I can think of in that prace range. I'd go for the GK.

lol, ok. But do you think the whole pa amp into bass cab idea would work? Are there any dedicated bass power amps in the 300€ price range? Because my basist is looking for a cheap solution that will do both live and in the studio, so the sans amp into a power amp into a cheap cab sounds reasonable...

a friend of mine brought over an Ashdown combo, and it blew me away. Has some sort of sub harmonic feature. That little thing rocked the house. Might be in your price range and it definatley held up to playing with a whole band IMO.

If you are in the US. SWR has lowerd the price of thier SWR workingman's 15 combo. It is a pro sounding amp. It gets great tones and volume. It would be ideal for studio and club gigs. You can also add an extension cab to it. This deal was brought to my attention at a bass forum i frequent. The company is phasing out this model to phase in a new look for the series. The retail is around $900, the sale price is now under $400. Saw it at Musician's Friend with my own two eyes.

The manager where I teach wasn't to happy when I brought the price change to his attention.

Well like my info states i'm in Stockholm, Sweden, but one of the local stores carry SWR so i'll check if they've got the same deal...

That Ashdown model sounds interesting too and they have that one, i just wanna have a few models to try out when i go there...

I like their smaller combos, sound great for the cash, but when it comes to their bigger rigs i don't feel you get as much as many other brands that are a lot cheaper, at least it's like that over here.

I like the Ashdown because they are invented by the same guy who made Trace Elliot, but I think they are a bit plain sounding. Once you start trying to shape a bit with the EQ, you'll find it isn't very effective. Almost all the amps come with the "sub-harmonic" feature. It's just an octive function.

ArtisanBass said:
I like the Ashdown because they are invented by the same guy who made Trace Elliot, but I think they are a bit plain sounding. Once you start trying to shape a bit with the EQ, you'll find it isn't very effective. Almost all the amps come with the "sub-harmonic" feature. It's just an octive function.

Ive had people bring these huge refrigerator size carvin 1000 watts amps and Peavy's blah blah balh. Yes they were all loud as fuck, but something about the ashdown combo struck me as pleasing and full. It filled the room nicely. I agree the eq wasnt the best but we put a sansamp in from of it and it solved that problem. For my purposes , being small, but sounding big workes for me. Not to mention Im not a bass player!:loco: