Bass Drum Microphones

I like my D6 alright. Very "pre-equed" tho.
The most versatile mic I have used was a vintage AKG D12e with some kind of anniversary reissue capsule.

D112 is shit, wayyy too boxy.
ATM25 is good.
E602 has huge low end and very little mid's, just add the click on top and you're sorted.
D6 is instant metal kick, though I think it would be difficult to get it to do anything else.
E902 is pretty clicky without being unusable for anything but metal like the D6 (personally I'm wanting to pick one up soon)
E901 is like the E902 with a bit of a flatter response, awesome combined with a subkick on the outside.
B52A I've not heard too many clips of, but when I have I didn't really like it tbh.

I'll be picking up a Beyerdynamic Opus 99 soon. There was a comparison over at Gearslutz against the D5, 112, and another which I can't remember. The 99 still had an EQ'd sound to it, but nowhere near as scooped as the D6. The D6 sounded quite thin in comparison. I'm not saying it isn't usable, but the 99 seems like a more diverse mic.

-Joe

I'll be picking up a Beyerdynamic Opus 99 soon. There was a comparison over at Gearslutz against the D5, 112, and another which I can't remember. The 99 still had an EQ'd sound to it, but nowhere near as scooped as the D6. The D6 sounded quite thin in comparison. I'm not saying it isn't usable, but the 99 seems like a more diverse mic.

-Joe

+1 We have Opus99 and Beta52 in the studio. I'll usually grab the 52 for metal and Opus99 for more "easier" styles. Never been too fond of the sound of D6 in the studio, live it works really well.

D6 and Opus99 share a very similar body design, which make it easy to place inside the kick, whereas the Beta52 is a bit fiddly and the D112 is just plain difficult to get anywhere.

Still, they're all pretty good mics after you hit the ~200euro mark.

+1 We have Opus99 and Beta52 in the studio. I'll usually grab the 52 for metal and Opus99 for more "easier" styles. Never been too fond of the sound of D6 in the studio, live it works really well.

D6 and Opus99 share a very similar body design, which make it easy to place inside the kick, whereas the Beta52 is a bit fiddly and the D112 is just plain difficult to get anywhere.

Still, they're all pretty good mics after you hit the ~200euro mark.

Would you be able to comment more on the sound of the Opus 99? If you wouldn't mind comparing it to your other kick mics that would be great! There's hardly any info. about it on the net, but the shootout at Gear Slutz made it a contender for me.

thanks

Joe

You guys should give the EV N/D868 a shot. Very overlooked kick mic, it sounds great. I didn't engineer this session but I was there helping out, the kick was a DW 24" with the 868 in and a subkick out, into a Neve pre and a transient designer (hardware unit, not plugin). No samples, except ones made from the drummer's own kit, used to augment softer hits. I think it would work great for metal too.

http://btkphoto.com/music/shoot_mastered.mp3

Would you be able to comment more on the sound of the Opus 99? If you wouldn't mind comparing it to your other kick mics that would be great! There's hardly any info. about it on the net, but the shootout at Gear Slutz made it a contender for me.

thanks

Joe

Oh boy.. Er.. It's more open, if that makes sense. The 52 has more tick, and the Opus has more splat. I find that I can EQ the Opus more to suit whatever it is I'm going for, so that makes it a bit more versatile in my books. It might need an outside mic for more oomph.

I made a comparison between these four mics (D6, D112, 52, 99) but I lost the files.. :erk:

Oh boy.. Er.. It's more open, if that makes sense. The 52 has more tick, and the Opus has more splat. I find that I can EQ the Opus more to suit whatever it is I'm going for, so that makes it a bit more versatile in my books. It might need an outside mic for more oomph.

I made a comparison between these four mics (D6, D112, 52, 99) but I lost the files.. :erk:

No problem, that's a good description!

Joe