Bass Guitar (2nd hand, cheap?!)

ooosanteooo

New Metal Member
Jun 1, 2010
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I am looking for a bass.

Just a quick background, I have played guitars for many years, and have also some experience with bass. Since I have been taking music more seriously I have invested in only good gear in the past few years, starting from my DAW to my monitors and general gear.

As a reference, I have a Jackson SL2 soloist (USA made) and a Mesa Boogie amp.
I love both pieces of equipment, but both are very expensive.

I need to buy a bass, but this time I am on a budget. Of course I would like to buy something good and expensive like a Warwick bass, or a nice Music Man, but

A - I'm not really a bass player, rather just want to use it for music production, and not ONLY for metal!

B - I really am on a budget this time and don't want to fork out much.

I would prefer something new, and I since it will not be only for metal I thought about maybe going for the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass - heard good things about it. It costs about 250 pounds here in the UK which is pretty much the maximum I can spend.
Some bass players and the guy at the store have told me that you can get better bass for the price, and that the Squier is a bit overrated.

What are your opinions?

Good used basses here in the music stores in London are at least 400-500 pounds, which is way over my budget.

As I said, I primarily want to use it to record, and not only metal, but also to practice bass a bit.

I wish I could buy something good, but this time I am looking at the best bang for the buck.

Could you suggest any cheap basses, and if I do go for something second hand, which make/model would you suggest.

Please keep in mind my low budget, and although I don't usually go for something cheap, this time it is a must!

Many thanks for your insights!
-J

They're all very nice. Proper as in Fender MIM good. Squiers use cheap Agathis wood, while these bases use Alder or Ash. Just get a pickup change, and you'll have an amazing bass.