Bass guitar recommendations?

clarbaden

Jan 26, 2009
Hi whats up guys,

I was wondering if any of you could recommend a reliable budget bass, strictly for recording. And for recording metal.

I was looking for one that costs a maximum of £150.

cheers.

£150 isn't much to be honest. If you can't afford any more then you'll absolutely have to go second hand to get anything remotely decent.

Squier VM Jazz (Maple, not Agathis) is an absolutely awesome bass. See if one of them pops up on ebay.

cheers guys, iv been looking at b stock basses, and u can get some pretty cheap basses that are half decent

Yes, I just ordered the Vintage Modified Squier. It's an ugly plank of shit, but it sounds godlike for the price - basically the complete opposite of the BTB705DX I own (pretty, plays amazing, but sounds very pedestrian).

Not sure if basses even come any cheaper than the Squier, so its an almost perfect studio purchase.

No, that's a P-bass and its Agathis. You want the Modified Vintage Jazz, and all maple. Maple is key - the wood is everything on a bass.

Yes, you want a 5-stringer. Their scale is usually larger, and that helps hold tune down there.

$380 AUD.

ok thanks a lot man, ill keep my eyes peeled on ebay and on sites for b stock, or just save up for a new one.

Thanks again.

Yeah, the squier VM are ridiculous. Got the fretless J-bass and was suprised by the quality.