Bass related question.

Krondor

Jan 16, 2008
Finland
I'm a noob when it comes to recording stuff with my computer so I wanted to ask what do you think is the best way to get a decent bass sound without an actual bass. I'm now using my guitar and adding an effect(octaver?) through my GT-10 to make it an octave lower, but naturally the sound is kind of crappy. Don't know if there are any midi bass plugins or anything available or if they're any better than my current "bass".
So do you have any suggestions?

I did try guitar + octaver + bass modeling amps. It sucked.

I recommend using bass VSTi's with real bass samples (which of course you can play with your midi keyboard). To my knowledge, the best are:

Spectrasonics' Trilogy (the one I use)

It's got different bass types (electric, 4 string, 5 string, acoustic, synth) with different articulations for each (finger picking, mutes, slides, etc.). About all you need. Here are a couple of demos:

Demo 1
Demo 2

However this one has been discontinued since Spectrasonics released a new/greater version of this bass module called:

Trilian

Though I haven't tried it, it seems even cooler with a huge list of real bass sounds. More expensive though but worth it if you do some serious/professional bass tracking but don't have bass gear and/or a bassist. It's fucking sweet.

Check out their electric bass demonstration here.

Yellow Tools' MAJESTIC:

I haven't tried this one. It's cheaper and the demos sound decent. It contains samples from basses such as:

Ibanez BTB 5-String
Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Precision

Scarbee's Bass modules:

Also cheaper, high quality sound, though perhaps a bit more inclined towards funk/fusion styles. I liked them nevertheless.

EDIT: Keep in mind that often, how you play/program the bass module and bass tracks is more important that what the module can do and how many sounds it's got. You can achieve some pretty realistic bass tracks.