Bass string for the low B on a 7 string?

Djentkitty

May 23, 2011
so, i know they come in singles for just regular guitar strings in that size but the store here largest has only 58 in singles. its for my 7 string, i want a 65 for the low B but the guy said i could just get a 65 bass string. but... i was going to buy a medium 11-49 6string set then put a 65 bass string, is that ok? will it hurt the guitar?

i need a kind of quick reply on this one, the store closes in an hour and i wanna make it .

It's a matter of gauge, I use a bass string on my 7 to reach the low F and the rest is a set for a 7 string minus the high E, and still, it's lacking tension due to the ultra thin gauge I've gotten just to "play it safe", I use a 0.65 BUT if you wanna use that string for a low B you're fucked basically now that I think re-reading the post :[ it's too high for that string...

It's a matter of gauge, I use a bass string on my 7 to reach the low F and the rest is a set for a 7 string minus the high E, and still, it's lacking tension due to the ultra thin gauge I've gotten just to "play it safe", I use a 0.65 BUT if you wanna use that string for a low B you're fucked basically now that I think re-reading the post :[ it's too high for that string...

hey man, yea, i meant i wanted the 65 to play in drop A. but i got back and they didnt have the 65, so i got the 70... and now im stuck in drop G# :lol: but i love it and it doesnt feel like much tension. it feels perfect because the A string would be floppy but now im good with it. yea, i just thought it would too much tension and might warp the neck, but this doesnt have much tension so ill stick with this.

thanks guy,

The tension will be fine, similar to the guitar string of the same gauge. In my experience it will sound out of balance with the rest of the set, though. Roundwound bass strings have a double-winding and they tend to have a softer overtone series and less attack. Generally just a darker sound.

Just order Ernie Ball 3-packs or D'Addario 5-packs of 64 or 68 or whatever gauge guitars strings from Musician's Friend or Amazon.

I use a .65 for B, .72 for A# (on a 27.7" baritone) and a .74 for A (on a 29 5/8" baritone).

It's all about taste, preference and a proper setup.

Also tracked a band who tuned to G# and F and they used an .80 and .84 respectively.

....The bassist used a .175 in F, but rarely hit the low F. He usually played the same octave as the guitars when they played songs that low.

First of all a bass string will not fit on a guitar... the ball end is bigger on a bass string. I have a baritone PRS and i use the baritone set which has a low string of 68 thats what i like.. also i went into my guitar store a while ago and asked them for th thickest single guitar string they had which was a 74.. and it wont fit through the machine head on any of the 15 guitars i have.. sooooo i would recommend not getting one of those.

the 70 fit for me, it was kinda dull but there is forsure no way of obtaining a guitar string past gauge 60 in my city, i've been to all the music stores here. i'm 17 and don't own a credit card so i wont be able to do online orders yet(maybe if i actually got hired somewhere/sometime at a local store or something but its terrible over here if you got no experience....)