Bass string gauges and sound

tk7261

Oct 19, 2012
So my bassist got new bass ,and I have to set it up for drop C. We got ernie ball auges .055, .075, .090, and .115. When I got to intonate the .115 to a C it was super off ,and no matter how much I tightened the saddle the intonation never got exact. I also noticed it was pretty loose and didn't have the same tension and nice sound the other strings did. I was thinking of ordering the same strings except with a .120. Do you think that will give the low string the same tension, feel, and sound as the others? I would also have to move to D'addario if I do this cause Ernie Ball doesn't make a .120.

p.s. I would imagine a .125 would be too tight right?

Honestly, for years I've used .110 for Drop C on both 34" and 35" scale lengths and it's worked great. I got the Dunlop Heavy Core which I think was .115 and I dug it, and it felt balanced string to string. No problem intonating either. I would probably look for a 5-string set (I think EB has one with a .125 B) and just ditch the highest string, or save it for a different bass that's in standard tuning. Just my preference, but I like to keep the strings as close to what a matched set would be rather than just crank up the gauge on just one string.