Bass string tension

EnjoiTrent

Official Knob Turner
Mar 20, 2013
So, I'm looking into getting an LTD J-204 for the band I currently play bass in. The problem I have with these 34" scale lengths is that I can never get the tension tight enough for the bass to have that tight in tune sound that you always hear. One of things I've been looking at is getting a set of the thick as fuck Circle K strings, and seeing how that helps my tension. What do you guys normally do to get the bass to sound/feel tighter?

Do u mean for live play or recordings? If u r worried about it going off tune when recording u could always just use melodyne, i know Andy Sneap does that sometimes with the bass guitar. What tuning are u using? Try to google what gauges people use for that neck length.

This would definitely be for recording. I just want to know how the more pro dudes get that super tight bass sound.

In my band, drop a#. But I want something I can set up and play in any tuning because I'll have bands come in with shitty basses so I need a studio bass. I've heard good things about the circle k strings. I know that Nolly from periphery uses them and his bass tones always sound great.

If you prefer Circle K strings, go for them!6
The link was just an example maybe focusing more on the gauges.

Just remember, that you need to setup the bass differently for different tunings every time, but I'm pretty sure you already knew that. :lol:

Yeah, I knew that lol. I'm just looking to get something to where I can get that tension I need and I know circle k makes some of the thickest gauges I've seen lol.

I recommend DR DDT or HI Beams and intonate and set your neck right. The geddy lee jazz is the best bet for a decent price. Bad Ass bridge saves the day too.

Used them on bass for PTV, Dayshell, and now with Crown The Empire.

Nolly sounds great because hes a great player.