Bass tips

B

beginna

Hello i am 15 year old and live in Washington
I just got a bass and i have some questions if you do not mind answering please.
1) do you tune the bass to be in tune with guitars and drums? or can you go a seperate sound
2) what is "tune a step down"
3) i have been playing and the skin of my fingers keeps ripping off onto the fretboard causing lines underneath the strings is this normal?

thank you, Joe Walsh

yeah, youre fingers will get fucked up, it'll take a while to get used to it.

standad tuning is E A D G tuning to D would be a step down

and it helps to warm up

also try getting your bass setup at a local guitar store (its usually very cheap) it might help with the fingers most basses come set with the strings too high or if you look around the internet you can find articles so you can do it yourself

check out hippie's technique of right hand practice every day for about 2 hrs or so for about 2 years starting from very low tempo (about 40 bpm PLAYING QUARTERNOTES first -just some patent like some chord beginning from first to about 14 fret ) then after few months when you feel ok with some routine you practise go to higher tempo (about 50 bpm)then change it every once a month (or so:) ) and wait for effects:D
VERY IMPORTANT TIPS!
1.remember to play routines in time
2.always try to loosen your fingers arms -generaly -body.When you play with stiff hands and fingers youll get injuries of wrists and you wont feel sound properly
3.stay opened for music ,play cool and by yourself:)
Sites worth checking out for lessons :
www.garywillis.com
www.victorwooten.com

gretz'n'cherrz :))