Bassdrum LIVE (Triggering with Slate?)

shouldnt be hard at all.

Just print a SSD kick sample and import it to whatever drum brain you have.

This is exactly what we are doing. make a sweet kick, bounce the ~1 second .wav and load it onto our spd-s

If the pad supports multi velocity hits just repeat the process with as many as you need.

Just gotta find the cheapest drum module you can that will allow you to load your own samples into it.

Personally I don't think you need to trigger kicks to get a decent sound live. If your drummer hits properly, has a decent kick drum and the engineer has a half decent mic (I love a Beta 91A personally, but even a PG52 can sound good) then you should have no problems getting a great kick sound.

If your drummer hits properly, has a decent kick drum and the engineer has a half decent mic (I love a Beta 91A personally, but even a PG52 can sound good) then you should have no problems getting a great kick sound.

The problem is that most engineers in our venues don't have any idea how to mix a live bassdrum so that it sounds good! If we just put a kick10 sample through the PA it would definitely kick more ass than without.

Finding the cheapest drum module that allows me to load my own samples on it is exactly my problem! ;D Can't find one!

The problem is that most engineers in our venues don't have any idea how to mix a live bassdrum so that it sounds good! If we just put a kick10 sample through the PA it would definitely kick more ass than without.

Finding the cheapest drum module that allows me to load my own samples on it is exactly my problem! ;D Can't find one!

as i said i'll try it tomorrow with mic and drumagog thats probably the cheapest way. :)

The problem is that most engineers in our venues don't have any idea how to mix a live bassdrum so that it sounds good!

Are you sure? It's literally just a case of pushing up a fader, mid scoop, compression and gate.

The most important thing for me to a good live kick sound is a well dampened and tuned drum.

Are you sure? It's literally just a case of pushing up a fader, mid scoop, compression and gate.

The most important thing for me to a good live kick sound is a well dampened and tuned drum.

Where im from the average local show is horrible. shit like a guy throwing a sm58 inside the kick (no stand) running into some shitty desk. no outboard whatsoever. in situations like that running a trigger is a no brainer. when we play the good shows that actually hire live sound gear though, real kit all the way.

Drumagog is definitely the cheapest way, but we don't want to have a laptop on stage again. It's mostly a bad stress factor.

And yeah, like Fandus said, playing in smaller venues just sucks so often cause the engineers can't get it right. Seems like we'll have to get a spd-s.

Just a PG52 into a line 6 UX1 into laptop through cubase with monitoring button in, you just need a good laptop though. Minimum 4gigs of RAM

Yeah, we tried it yesterday with a bassdrum mic and an interface.
Latency was pretty good/not existing but we had some problems with false triggering. When we set the sensivity down it only recognizes hard hits and not medium/soft hits, so the drummer needs to hit the bassdrum constantly hard.
Do you know any tricks?