Bassist Dustin briefly joins RIOT on stage!

prog2112

Feb 11, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT USA
Visit site
Hi everyone - the new mommy here!

Yes, you've read the headline correctly - here's what was reported on the web:

New York metal legends RIOT were accompanied by Katagory V’s very own bassist Dustin Mitchell for two songs at their Saturday January 28th show in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Yes, the rumor has been floating around out there, and it is confirmed – Dustin did indeed stand in on a few songs during Riot’s live performance in Salt Lake City. Due to a very unfortunate accident with Riot’s bassist Pete Perez, the band ended up performing both their Las Vegas and Salt Lake City dates without a bassist. However, at a moments notice, Dustin stepped in and joined them at the end of the night in his hometown of Salt Lake City for two classic Riot songs, “Flight of the Warrior” and “Thundersteel”.

Dustin took a moment to comment on how that evening went down.

“Good god! Did that really just happen? Wow, 48 hours later and I think it’s actually starting to sink in! Riot has been one of my favorite bands, a band that I would put up there alongside Iron Maiden or Rush when it comes to legendary status and longevity. I thought I was just going to see a show; playing live was the last thing I thought would ever happen.”

“In short, I got a call from my friend JB (of JB entertainment - Riots booking) on Friday and he told me that Pete had been seriously hurt somehow and was in the hospital. He asked me if I knew a few Riot songs… at first I thought he was messing around with me, but I could tell quickly he was dead serious. Fear began to sink in and I told him ‘No, not really’ and he began to persuade me into at least doing a few songs. I told him to talk to the band to be sure they were cool with it and that I would think it over some more and to call me back. By Saturday afternoon – the day of the show – I had taken a couple of hours and learned two songs from my favorite Riot album in hopes they were going to play those live. You can imagine my surprise to know they were indeed in the set list! “

“Looking back it seems all so surreal. Frank (Gilchreist) ran through the songs with me after he got his drums set up at sound check, and before the other guys showed up, and gave me a few quick points on what they do live with these particular songs and what to watch and listen for. He was very patient and a tremendous help, and I was glad I got to jam with him before hand. The guys seemed a bit on edge and possibly a little unsure about having me up there as I made my way on stage, but, after a few bars into “Flight of the Warrior” it all seemed to wash away, even my being extremely nervous. Of course I hit a few odd notes in the beginning, but I synched up pretty quick. I remember Mike (Tirelli) having the biggest grin on his face the whole time and Mark & Mike (Flyntz) stepping over to me, playing a few counter point jams, and then all three of us getting up together during the long neoclassical guitar run after the solo in “Thundersteel”. My legs were shaking so hard, I thought I was going to pass out. I felt like I had died and gone to heaven.”

“I want to thank all the guys in RIOT – Mike T., Mark, Frank, and Mike F. -for letting me get up with them and jam some of my all-time favorite RIOT songs with the originators. It’s still blows my mind I did! Thank you for your warm welcome, kind words, and making me feel at home, I’ll remember this forever. Another big thanks to JB and Damon for their patients and trust, it meant a lot to me, and finally a big GET WELL SOON to one of the most amazing bassist on this planet, Pete Perez, whom I wish was there that night. The guys sounded great as a four-piece, but it would have been 100% perfect with Pete on stage; I was really looking forward to seeing him live and hopefully meeting him as well. My heart and prayers go out to him and I hope he heals up quickly and toughs it out ‘through the storm’.”

You can view a few photos of Dustin with Riot on stage taken buy a local Riot fan here:

riot1.jpg

More....

Picture 2 Picture 3 and Picture 4

:Shedevil:
~ Sheri

Jesus friggin' Christ on a moped. I don't think it'd be too much to say that, years down the line, you're going to put this down as one of your defining moments, aren't you, Dustin? :)

That's just awesome. Holy wow. :headbang: