Bassists: this guy is just amazing!

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever

He's Forest lapointe from Augury (Ex-Quo vadis)

I have an incredible admiration for metal bassists who play fretless cause it relies so much more on pure feeling than on checking all the time if you're playing the right notes or such (something I really wish I would be able to do with such freedom as this guy) and hence giving space to making much more creative basslines than just following the roots or doing octaves and fifths. plus fretless basses sound incredible.

what say you? I absolutely love this band btw, not just the bassist

edit: I'm not implying in any way that bassist who play fretted (I do) are less creative, or that a bassist HAS to be that much creative with his lines for that matter, just saying I love one thing doesn't mean I dislike or disrespect the opposite

Last edited by a moderator:
The riff/bass line around 2:34 owns!

This guy is pretty good too, (not sure who he is)

I recently found that vid (on the Steve Digiorgio board I think), he's indeed VERY creative and unique in his basslines. :worship:
I'm looking forward alot to the new Augury.

BTW it is nearly impossible to find a decent (or even not decent!) fretless 5-string bass without fretlines in a finish that is not bright natural. I've tried to find one for nearly a month, ever since a friend lent me his 4-string fretless and I got totally infected. I got to have one, now I'm actually going for a custom...

The riff/bass line around 2:34 owns!

This guy is pretty good too, (not sure who he is)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy3V2Tl4g3s

that dude is venezuelan, I've seen the video before. Don't really know who he is, but I'm 100% sure that the guy playing and the guy filming are venezuelan, for the accent. dude's pretty damn good indeed, but as the metalzz man I am I'm not really a fan of slap and pop bass, now fretless noodling and weird chords and such... dear god...

I was quite amazed when i first saw this guy:

watched that Auguary vid like 20 minutes before I entered that thread and I am just listening to them...
I've been playing alot on my fretless in the last time, but I really dig slap and pop stuff because you can get so fucking groovy!

I was thinking earlier today that I should start practising my bass playing again. Now I'm not sure anymore if I should bother after all...

Gael Pirlot. of Canvas Solaris, Novum Organum, The Burden of Existence *coughs*,countless other projects. he is amazing. he plays a fretless as well. a 5 string at that! i wish i could find a better quailty video for the first song. but really , the whole band is amazing:)

Canvas Solaris

The first vid would have been alot better if he didn't have that farting bass tone. Especially when he goes to the higher frets/strings, it sounds like a trombone or something.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryCZ6zhKJEY&feature=related[/ame]

that dude is cool, too, plays in a black metal band, has some other stuff on youtube, like him playing guitar or very percussive bass.

Lauri Porra from Stratovarius:

I don't really know what to say about him. Other than he's obviously nuts. :lol:

The almighty Les Claypool:

I don't understand half of what he does, let alone why he does it. :lol: One of my all time favorites for sure. :cool:

This thread is in desperate need of Billy Sheehan:

And of course Louis Johnson(Loud video):