BATHORY Mastermind QUORTHON Dies

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Blabbermouth.net said:
BATHORY mastermind Tomas "Quorthon" Forsberg was found dead in his apartment in Stockholm, Sweden on Monday, June 7, informed sources have confirmed to BLABBERMOUTH.NET. The 39-year-old son of Black Mark Records owner Börje Forsberg, long considered one of black metal's founders, died of an apparent heart failure.

No official confirmation has been release. If this is the case, we here at UM would like to extend our sincere condolences to Quorthon's loved ones, on this sad day for metal.

i couldnt belive it when i found out..ive been listening to Bathory all day long,to honour Quorthon. he fucking created everything that has to do with black/death and any extreme metal.

R.I.P

blabbermouth.net said:
Legendary video director and founding BATHORY member Jonas Åkerlund has spoken to Sweden's Expressen newspaper about the passing of BATHORY mastermind Thomas "Quorthon" Forsberg from what is believed to be heart failure. Forsberg, who was known to have been battling heart problems for years, was found dead in his apartment in Stockholm, Sweden on Monday (June 7). He was 39 years old.

"It's so sad. He had much more to offer," Åkerlund said.

Jonas, who formed the band with Forsberg in the early '80s, went on to have a successful video-directing career, having worked with the likes of METALLICA, PRODIGY, MADONNA and U2.

"[BATHORY came onto the scene] extremely early," Åkerlund said. "People like Marilyn Manson, Billy Corgan and the members of METALLICA have all come up to me and have told me that they listened to BATHORY."

According to Åkerlund, it was Thomas Forsberg's creativity that made the band such an influence on so many younger metal acts.

"[Quorthon] had a high cult status," Jonas said. "He wasn't interested in attention, he just wanted to play his music."

You know, it still sucks. Everytime I listen to the Nordland albums I hear a little more in those viking tales. Hopefully things can carry on.

Hi everyone
I could not believe it myself when i heard the sad news that quorthon had passed over to the other side so early, i am still pretty much in shock. I grew up listening to bathory and have only just started to rebuild my bathory collection again. quorthons music has certainley inspired me especially during some of my darker times. I am sure he will be missed, he really was a nordic genius and i am sure that his music will be revered by the gods.

crystal dawn

Very big loss to the metal world.. I recently purchased BloodFireDeath and obviously it was a very influential album for alot of BM bands.. very good album.. if you don't have it get it... Quorthon R.I.P.

He left alot of albums though.. not like others that die young and only came out with like 2 or 3 albums... I wonder if the album he was working on will be released... also I wanted to ask.. did Bathory ever tour in their history? i think i read that they never did which i always found odd... :erk: :confused:

What a tragedy Quorthon was a bloody legend, his music kicked arse, this is probably the most sadest thing to happen to metal all year.
R.I.P dude you were a bloody legend

I remember back in 1988 when i bought this vinyl called 'Blood Fire Death'. Ok at first hated it. There it was in the shelf. Later back in 1989 i loved that album and still do.

RIP Quorthon.