Battleheart: Pirate Metal!

-Gavin-

Gavornator
Jul 21, 2003
Oulu, Finland
Alright guys, released this a wee while ago but have just started browsing here!

Any of you guys wanna rate my mix here? hahah

Guitars were my Jackson KV2 and a Pod XT 4 tracks, panned 60 using my own ENGL and Big Bottom patches, (one of each in each speaker)
Bass was recorded dry then "amped" with Guitar rig 2
Keyboards were a Korg Karma
Vocals were tracked with a Røde Nt1-A

Drums, whole other story. We went to a studio to record drums. The dude that tracked them was terrible and used shitty cheap mics and such on a terrible out of tune drumkit.
I extracted as much performance as i could to midi then "triggered" with DKFH Superior. The problem with this is that there is now a lot less human touch to the drums... but shit, atleast the sound good and usable :lol:.

Everything was done in my home studio from Tracking, Mixing, Mastering (My first Master job).

The overall sound is Piratey Folk Metal! Let me know :lol:

I do all the guitars.

http://www.celtiaproductions.co.uk/battleheart/music/terroronthehighseas/terroronthehighseas2006.zip

That is the coolest intro to an album I've heard in a great while, haha. The music is cool enough, for me, that I don't care about the mix or anything :lol: Cool shit man.

~e.a

You could try panning the synths/accordion a bit more to gain some space in the center as guitars/accordion/synths/snare really cloak the wider center hard enough...
Also, the bottom end seems to be lacking? Might be my headphones at work, but I can hardly hear anything going on there.

Technicalities aside, I think all songs are pretty cool, but your pirates sound a whole lot like Finntroll/Korpiklaani more often than not IMHO.

:kickass:

Cheers guys!

Oh, i also triggered the kicks with the Sneap kick sample but ran it through a BBE Sonic maximizer plug and boosted "low contour".