Battlestar Galactica

phlogiston said:
They explained this by saying that pretty much everything that flew was using some of Baltar's software and the hot Cylon chick introduced a whole mess of backdoors and stuff so the Cylon fighters could introduce viruses to shut them all down. (Early in the first episode they said that she rewrote a lot of Baltar's algorithms for him.)

Galactica and the MKII Vipers didn't have any of Baltar's software, and didn't even have networked computers. About halfway through last night they were going to "retrofit the newer Vipers".

Well I missed the first hour of the first ep, so I didn't really know that. In any case, it pretty convenient, and it's still a plot hole. Why would a battlecruiser that's part of a naval fleet not be running the same software as the rest of the fleet? It would have been more effective if, say, someone on Galactica realised what the Cylons were doing and circumvented it somehow, or something, and then reverted the ship's electronics to an older system. It's a little more complex than the plot device they actually used, but it works better if you ask me.

Shannow, thanks for the info about FTL and teleportation research. I remember reading something about the teleportation of laser beams a few years back, and even then they were saying that while the teleportation of energy is theoretically possible, it isn't for matter because it's too complicated to put matter back together the right way after it's been atomised.

Spiff said:
I know nothing about physics and stuff. Why is dogfighting in space impossible?

As phloggy said, it's all about friction. Aircraft manuoevre themselves by interacting with the friction of the air; fins and aerilons change the way the air moves over the plane and push it in the direction they need to go. There's no air in space, so there's nothing to push against to cause a directional change. Spacecraft change direction in gradual stages by firing rockets to provide thrust in the direction they have to turn. In reality, Vipers, X-Wings, TIE fighters etc. simply wouldn't be that maneouvreable in space, and wouldn't be able to fly at all in an atmosphere. Well maybe the Vipers would because they have stablisers and tail-fins, but an X-Wing would most likely crash immediately if it entered an atmosphere.

I hate proper physics, the style of the space battles in Return Of The Jedi are the only space battles that should be allowed.

Phloggy, is Stargate really that good? I was thinking of buying that magazine that starts coming out this week with 3 episodes per dvd of Stargate plus a magazine explaining the history and ins and outs of the series etc. I watched the pilot episode and it was awesome, but that thing with the guys living in peoples stomachs was so fucking stupid, so I never watched the episodes.

I like it. It seems to have gone through its fair share of ups and downs, and I don't watch it religiously, but when I do watch it I'm sufficiently entertained.

What's wrong the Ga'ould? It's not unheard of for species to have have symbiotic relationships with other creatures. Because you know it's not actually *guys* living in their stomachs, don't you? It's more of a wormy type thing.

I know, but its just stupid... It looks stupid, theiir names are stupid, the way they open their stomachs to show them is stupid. Its just STUPID!

Ive seen Aliens, I know what happens with "symbiotic" relationships...

I know what happens with "symbiotic" relationships...

Yes. The cool black costume you got in the first Secret War goes utterly bugshit when you don't let it control your thoughts anymore, then attaches itself to some whack-job called Eddie Brock, who keeps coming back in limited edition miniseries no matter how many times you kill him off :).

W

You're right, Aussie. It's going to be a big year indeed for SF and fantasy. My expectations aren't high for Star Wars Ep III or the Spielberg/Cruise War of The Worlds, but I'm looking forward to new Hitch-Hiker's. I just hope they don't Americanise the movie too much. I love the original because it's very, very British.

Icarus, the new Doctor Who will be much better than the 1996 telemovie because it'll have a plot :lol:. Check out www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho and type "Outpost Gallifrey" into Google for all the latest news.

Batman Begins will rule also, as long as there aren't any scenes in swanky restaurants with waiters asking Bruce Wayne if he wants to hear the specials :headbang:.

I've never watched Stargate. I think the movie would be better than the series, even though it was directed by the same guy who brought us Independence Day and Godzilla :puke:.

W

:lol: Or you become like me and make a deal with the devil to see your wife, only to find out you are now a soldier in hells army and have a symbiotic suit attached to you that has chains and shit, and all you do is sit in an alleyway moping for 50 issues before people finally get fed up and stop buying you.

The Stargate movie ruled :headbang:

I liked Independance Day as well, it was stupid, but it didnt pretend it wasnt, kind of like me :)

Goreripper said:
Well I missed the first hour of the first ep, so I didn't really know that. In any case, it pretty convenient, and it's still a plot hole. Why would a battlecruiser that's part of a naval fleet not be running the same software as the rest of the fleet? It would have been more effective if, say, someone on Galactica realised what the Cylons were doing and circumvented it somehow, or something, and then reverted the ship's electronics to an older system. It's a little more complex than the plot device they actually used, but it works better if you ask me.

the battlecruiser wasnt part of the fleet and its decomishioning ceremony was well underway when the shit hit the fan. It had been turned into a museum and thats why there are red ropes, glass display cabinets and all the references to the museum