Bay Area Rock Fest- Announcement

BARfest

Sep 9, 2003
Visit site
Bay Area Rock Promotions is pleased to announce the inaugural Bay Area Rock Fest with Angra, Spocks Beard and Jon Oliva’s Pain as the headlining acts for a 2 day progressive rock and metal festival in San Francisco.

Angra returns to North America for the first time since 2005 for an exclusive appearance in the US at the end of a worldwide tour which starts today in Tokyo around their latest album “Aurora Consergens”. Billed as the “Greatest Brazilian Heavy Metal Band”, Angra accents its Iron Maiden influences with a unique Brazilian flavor to captivate listeners in its native country and beyond.

Legendary progressive rockers Spocks Beard come back to the Bay Area with their unique mix of progressive rock with their latest album “Spocks Beard”- the third effort to feature the vocal stylings of drummer Nick D’ Virgilio. “Spock’s Beard” capitalizes on the quartet’s polished and expansive take on progressive rock, all the while adding new flavors and layers.

Jon Olivas’ Pain, the solo act of legendary Savatage singer and Trans-Siberian Orchestra composer Jon Oliva tours on their new album “Maniacal Renderings”. The Mountain King has promised a unique set which will feature songs of his new album plus many Savatage classics and songs never performed live as well as some stories on Savatage and the late, great Criss Oliva.

Other bands appearing on the bill include Bay Area bands Enchant, Zero Hour and Timeline as well as Odins Court from Maryland. Making their appearance for the first time in the United States is Australia’s new progressive power metal masters- Eyefear. One more band will be announced later.

“I am excited to bring this mix of top acts in the progressive rock and progressive metal genre” comments David Hatchell, the festival organizer. “The Bay Area has always had a strong rock and metal scene, but also a history of audiences appreciating a great diversity in music from the days of Bill Graham. I am confident that all fans of rock and metal will enjoy seeing the best of the local and international bands that focus on the best melodic, progressive and hard-charging rock and roll on the planet!”

Bay Area Rock Fest will take place on Friday and Saturday, May 4th and 5th at The Independent in San Francisco. Tickets will go on sale February 11th at the Independent box office and through TicketWeb.com. Only 500 tickets will be made available to the public. Ticket costs will be $85.00 for the festival covering both nights. There will be a limited number of VIP sponsorships available for individual patrons. Additional sponsorships are also available.

For more information, visit www.bayarearockfest.com, www.myspace.com/bayarearockfest or the Bay Area Rock Fest forum- http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/bar-fest-430/. For sponsorship information please contact David@bayarearockfest.com. The Independent’s website is www.theindependentsf.com

BARFest07v2.jpg

Hell yeah!!! The announcement I've been waiting for!!!!!

Of course this is a great for me for multiple reasons:
Of course, I as well as the rest of OC, are stoked about playing this festival!!! What an incredible honor to be surrounded by so many great bands! A couple of which have been personal favorites of mine for years (Zero HOur and Enchant). Dave, thnaks for giving us this shot!

Enchant!!!! Need I say more? :headbang: :kickass: :headbang: :kickass: Its no secret to anyone how badly I have wanted to see this band for a long time now!! It was killing me about the Mar. 24 show since it is unlikely that I can afford this festival, PP, normal family vacations AND this show. It is my birthday weekend and if things work out differently, I'd still like to make it. But now I know I finally get to see them!! A dream is coming true!!

Of course, Zero Hour is another personal favorite and even though I've seen them 7 times now, I can always fit in another show!!

Jon Oliva's Pain - the mountain king is another monster in my book. Looking vey forward to this!

Angra - duh! While I wasn't as excited about them the past two times they played PP, I've since watched the DVD multiple times and I am very impressed with their live show! What an incredible guitar team!

Eric, I'm looking forward to checking out Timeline, so that'll be cool.

Can't complain too much about the Beard appearing and Eyefear has been one of my MySpace friends for a while -- these guys sound really good too!

I love NorCal and this is a great time of year to visit there (been there in May before)!

Yes, Rick is one happy camper today!! I can't wait to see you all out there!!

Awesome flyer Bear!!

Thanks again Dave!!

Hey Rick, Look forward to seeing Odin's Court! It's gonna be a great show! The Independent is a sweet venue too. Great sound, nice stage!

Rockin'!!
Brett

Holy shit this is as awesome a lineup as I thought it'd be. Did not expect JoP, Eyefear, or Spock's Beard at all!

Though I'm not 21, and so there's really only one thing I can do. :(
~~blows brains out~~

2 more tickets sold, I'll definitely be there along with my best friend who I think just crapped himself when I told him Angra was playing. Rick it'll be good to see you out here again!!

Hey Rick, Look forward to seeing Odin's Court! It's gonna be a great show! The Independent is a sweet venue too. Great sound, nice stage!

Rockin'!!
Brett
Hey Brett,

And you know I'm looking forward to playing! Plus, we'll get a chance to hang out some!

Yes, it is going to be a great show. You know where I will be for the Enchant and ZH sets!!

Great news! That makes it even better. See you in May!

2 more tickets sold, I'll definitely be there along with my best friend who I think just crapped himself when I told him Angra was playing. Rick it'll be good to see you out here again!!

So pretty much I've had a retarded smile on my face since Rick messaged me with the lineup. I am very, very impressed. Despite what Milton will have you believe:)p!!), Angra are one of my favorite bands and I have been wanting to see them live for a while.

I seriously want to kill myself because I am not 21. ~blows brains out and watches concert with the big man upstairs~ FUCK. THIS LINE UP KICKS ASS. I have always wanted to see Angra </////3

Not to speak for The Man too much, but...

I know David has tried hard to change the age limitations, but unfortunately liquor laws (which come along with serving alcohol are how most venues of this type make their real money) impose serious restrictions on establishments.

This varies from state to state of course, but I know where I am in Maryland it is really strict. Virginia is strict too, but seems to have additional laws to allow places with live music to have all ages shows (which isn't exactly all ages, rather, under 14 accompanied by a parent). Apparently California (or maybe a local government or board) is also strict.

I'm sure if there is a way to change this, David is already looking into it! :)