Beat Detective Tutorial Video Part One is Here!!

the speaking was the macbook pro's internal mic, i recorded the output of the 002 to the studios mac pro and motu 24.
bit of a shitty workaround, but it meant i could have high quality audio

Hey Greyskull thanks for taking the time to make this.
I watched most of it.

Where you went wrong in the first section and in general is because your selection shouldn't be exactly 16 bars on the grid, it should be 16 bars of the performance. So you should have ignored the first bit of silence and gone from the first transient of the part to the first transient of the end of the part. Unless you've already roughly lined things up (I often do, but you didn't) when comping you're not likely going to get an exact bar selection to work first try.

Hope that makes sense.

I do agree with the others that showing mistakes is a good thing, but I turned it off when you weren't making much progress.

Also the whole thing with using the two groups is the same as if you were using collection mode. IMO collection mode would have been faster. Low emphasis for kick, high for snare.

Cntrl+Opt+Plus/Minus
I never remember that one.

I watched most of it.

Where you went wrong in the first section and in general is because your selection shouldn't be exactly 16 bars on the grid, it should be 16 bars of the performance. So you should have ignored the first bit of silence and gone from the first transient of the part to the first transient of the end of the part. Unless you've already roughly lined things up (I often do, but you didn't) when comping you're not likely going to get an exact bar selection to work first try.

You're going to get a lot of grief for this, I'm pretty sure me, you and James are the only people on the board who do it this way... Doesn't make any sense to me to do it by the grid either. I'm gonna make a video of that method this week if I can figure out a way to record my voice and Pro Tools at the same time.

I watched most of it.

Hope that makes sense.

I do agree with the others that showing mistakes is a good thing, but I turned it off when you weren't making much progress.

Also the whole thing with using the two groups is the same as if you were using collection mode. IMO collection mode would have been faster. Low emphasis for kick, high for snare.

I never remember that one.

i didnt go wrong. Sir Sneap makes a selection based on the grid too.
as i said a million times, this is just what works for me

Even though i dont work in PT, I still love vids like this. Thanks for taking the time.

Now can we get some Nuendo or Cubase drum edit vids! :worship:

well Greyskull that's the method I use, but I just say one thing, if the drummer pushed a bit and you moved the region so it's almost aligned to the grid, you din't have to crop the region, I would have basically higlighten the section from that 1|1|000 (or whatever it was) and then use BD, your method is based on the grid so no need to crop stuff.
The only thing I recommend to all buddies, is to always separate the region you're working on, always do this otherwise everything will be fucked up ;)

i think that's habit selecting on the grid... thats the way i was taught to do it anyhow. Probably do it as it helps keep things easy to keep your eye on in terms of sections.
I'll probably redo this vid; it was sort of a tester.
i may just do a much shorter version as well.

i watched the vid, thanks for posting. im looking forward to more beat detective videos.

i get clunky with BD in all the same areas, basically i stumble when it comes to moving from one section to the next, and the tidbits of audio in between. and selecting areas. a video demonstrating how to move from one section to the next smoothly and properly would be a real treat

Get on it! :)

Nah not happening. I have officially denounced Beat Detective for drum editing. I did a super technical death metal track on Thursday, almost 9 hours with Beat Detective (240bpm 16th notes everywhere). I opened it up in Reaper last night to try the Joey-style slip editing method, took me 2 hours and I did the entire track and it sounds better too.

So now I am a Pro Tools user who uses Reaper just for drum editing, how backwards does that seem? :lol:

Maybe I'll do a Reaper slip editing tutorial though.