Beatdetective and tempo map

krokit

Noisey B*****d
Dec 5, 2005
London
Just finished recording drum tracks for a band and the next stage will be editing and tightening the performances with beatdetective, pretty standard stuff.

Thing is, the drummer played along to a backing track that the band had brought with them, which consisted of gtrs, bass and a click. Problem is...after about 30 seconds, the backing track goes out of sync with the click in Pro Tools, which means I cant use beatdetective untill I create some kind of tempo map from the bands backing track??

The click track in the backing track is quite prominent, so there shouldnt be a problem extracting the transients with beatdetective.

Do I use the 'extract groove' approach or is there a easier and painless way of doing this???

Cheers guys :kickass:

Personally in that situation I would not use the groove extract/BD at all... Here's what I'd do..

1- make sure you're not in manual tempo mode!

2-Assuming that you want use the bands backing track as the final tempo map, figure out exactly where it starts to go off the click. for this example lets pretend bar 76 is the first place where the band doesn't follow the click.

3-Find the "1" of bar 76 and hit "command I". A box will come up, and make sure that the sync point is "bar 76, beat 1". It should now make a tempo marker at the same tempo as your original track.

4-Now skim along and find every "1" on the backing track, for every 1/2/4/8/16 bars depending on how consistent the backing track is. Every time you get to one, do the "command I" thing and make sure it's showing it as beat one. Also make sure that all the meters are right as well (4/4 7/8 etc.).

This does take a bit of time, but I find it way easier to do then groove extract. You can also make it way more accurate and decide what parts you can let the band be loose for, and which parts need to be super tight.

Hope that makes sense, if not I'll make a tutorial video.

Hey thanks for the help guys. ;)

Cheers Trevoire520. I tried the Use Bar/Beat Marker Generation but couldnt really work with the markers to tighten up the drums as Im really missing the grid!!

Ive just tried 'Identify Beat' cheers C_F_H_13 and have markers at the start of every bar but I cant work out how I can use these with Beatdetective either??? :loco:

Hey thanks for the help guys. ;)

Cheers Trevoire520. I tried the Use Bar/Beat Marker Generation but couldnt really work with the markers to tighten up the drums as Im really missing the grid!!

Ive just tried 'Identify Beat' cheers C_F_H_13 and have markers at the start of every bar but I cant work out how I can use these with Beatdetective either??? :loco:
I'll make a tutorial today. I'll post as soon as I can.

Hey C_F_H_13 Ive done it!! I tried it a few times but didnt quite understand what you meant so I kept trying and bang..YES! As if by magic the grid has synced to the backing track which is fuckin brilliant! What an amazing feature... I did it 4 bars at a time which takes a bit of time but now everything is locked in!

Your a star mate..thanks again. :danceboy:

Hey C_F_H_13 Ive done it!! I tried it a few times but didnt quite understand what you meant so I kept trying and bang..YES! As if by magic the grid has synced to the backing track which is fuckin brilliant! What an amazing feature... I did it 4 bars at a time which takes a bit of time but now everything is locked in!

Your a star mate..thanks again. :danceboy:

glad I could help.