Beatles overrated??

Allan said:
Fine, if you wish to discucc their music, but this is like the 5th thread that goes no further than "They're overrated" shouters vs. "they're the most important band in history and you're an idiot for thinking otherwise" shouters.

SPOT ON!

Abba were klass .. Gimme Gimme Gimme a man after midnight!!

Well when you live in or around Liverpool if you dont appreciate the Beatles or scouse house in some way or other it gives the scally massive another excuse to consider you a freak.

The Beatles started to write their own songs in a time when doing covers was normal. This is their influence I think.

Mariner said:
alwin, so you mean it was cool to write your own songs, cause no one did it? :confused:
I mean this (taken from website):

The Beatles' influence on rock music and world culture was profound. Prior to their emergence as pop superstars, it was common for rock bands to rely on professional songwriters for their material (the Brill Building in New York City was a source of many hit singles in the early 1960s).
Whilst by no means the first to do so (Buddy Holly composed his hits, for example), their example made self-composition the standard for rock bands then and since. Although they did not necessarily invent all the new ideas they incorporated in their music, they often competed with and played off of the developing ideas of other prominent acts of the period (such Bob Dylan, The Byrds, and the Beach Boys). As such, they spurred rock music, which hitherto had been largely looked down upon by older music fans, towards becoming an accepted art form.

i read the linked thread and really dont want to get into it seriously, but i suppose that musical geniuses are in classical music. that harmony progression debate was laughable. schonberg invented things in music, pop/rock etc stars didnt

though there are paralells in classical music and pop/rock/metal. (funny in hungarian we call the former "serious music" and the latter "light music".) you can find the same bravado in italian guys (eg Luca Turilli from Rhapsody with thousands of lightning fast arpeggios) and Vivaldi (or his music) was something like him.

the whole heroic metal bands and nordic bands are like Wagner was, just in smaller version. (four men cant do miracles.) you may be fascinated by classical influenced metal hits with a length of ten minutes, but Wagner has operas that you simply cant sit out. (6 hours for example)

even the progressive section has its big brothers, Bartok, dodecaphony etc.

despite these facts i praise metal and truly but not overly emotional songs
(overly-emotioned means for me that the performer loses his/her credit by overacting). and i appreciate that i dont have to buy a songbook just to understand the song. (do any of you capable of hearing the lyrics of an opera??? eh.) growling bands may be different though :))

Crimsonfloyd said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner
because you cant see it i guess. musicianship is about writing songs. chords schemes for example. and these schemes are just neglected by todays metalbands... they justy play a random sequence of chords and thats the basic for their song

Your joking, right? You can't be this dumb. Do you honestly think that most metal bands just toss together a bunch of random riffs do you?

Quote:
i like opeth, but thats not about emotion at all.... well... damnation a bit maybe, but certainly not the moor. opeth stands for nice complex riffing. and a lot of you seek much more behind it, while there isnt such stuff. (now you might pretend that it is there...)

You obviously have no understand what Opeth is about. Opeth is all about emotion, the complex riffs mean nothing to me, Opeth is my favorite band cuz they move me on an emotional level like no one else. Obviously you are making the extreemly ignorent mistake of thinking that heavy music can't be emotional, it just shows you lack of uncerstanding for heavy music.

Quote:
and i never bothered to check out mayhem. but ill do to please you so i can make my mind about it. (and probably tell that its the same shit ;) )

No point you won't get it. You don't seem to understand that emotion can be conveyed in many different ways in music, including through agressive music.
he must think im stupid. :erk: