Growling?

well, i don't like growls either these days, in fact i most of the time skip songs which have growls on it. i only listen to some old tunes which have them.

The thing i sometimes don't get is when you simply cannot understand a single word coming out of the "singers" mouth!

i like 'em. if done well, they can add to the overall feeling a song conveys. and if they are done badly (i have edlund in mind on the old tiamat records) they still are funny :)

pistol_pete said:
i got a jeff dvd today, live in chicago, anyone seen it?

Yeah, I bought it a year ago and have watched it once since then. Didn't really impress me, although the acoustic bonus tracks are great.

By the way, the Opeth DVD is fucking awesome. :loco: :heh: Honestly.

Growling rules. So does screaming. So does piano. And drums... a perfect cocktail. Although I'd listen to (and thoroughly enjoy) shirt'n'tails lounge jazz or deep-south fried country, if it had black/death vox. (A 2000bpm drum machine would be a bonus, too...)

It is all about dynamic. I believe that growling or screaming perfectly complements the subsequent or preceding melody or moment of tranquillity. Polar opposites if you will. And since life and all existence is pervaded by a sense of balance, wouldn't then the existence of growls be justified? Basic metaphysics from a stoned mind.

I don't really like it, I believe in melodic music/vocals, melody and harmony are essential imo, so I'm not into growling. But of course it is a way of singing and I accept it as much as any other way. But I'm a fan of classical singing. Either clean vocals or choir stuff. :)