Been making my own drum samples

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
I've been doing so a lot lately.

I think they're sounding good!

I've not sampled any toms yet, so I used superior drummer for the toms.. But everything else it hand programmed using my own samples

Here is a processed version of them with a little guitar riff:

Just drums:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds awesome Nick! Kick sounds a little bit boomy/roomy for me (sorry for the rhyme) but awesome non the less :)

Thanks guys.

Kick is probably boomy because I had it running through the room buss.

I'll throw some samples up pretty soon here.

insanely fucking tight guitar, haha. that's what caught my attention, sounds really note by note-recorded, love that. snare could use a little more brightness, just my taste, but the sample sounds solid as fuck, kick aswell. great fucking job! i'd love to try them in a mix.

insanely fucking tight guitar, haha. that's what caught my attention, sounds really note by note-recorded, love that. snare could use a little more brightness, just my taste, but the sample sounds solid as fuck, kick aswell. great fucking job! i'd love to try them in a mix.

Thanks dude. I didn't record the guitars in any special way really. I punched in for sections, but not notes. And then just to make it sound nicer I automated some of the DI's notes to be a little more snappy for the initial attack. I do that a lot for some stuff. I then just slip edited the guitars.

very nice snare indeed!
great job.

by "making" do you mean "record and process" or "blending from other samples"?
either way, sounds cool!

Thanks Lasse! Yep. Recorded myself (well a band member did the actual playing) and processed it myself as well.

I ran it through a room impulse that I made myself as well. The room I sampled is the one I've posted pics of that people really seemed to like.

It's one single snare, no blending done in the samples you heard.

Well that snare seriously sounds very nice Nick!

That last fast section on the guitar sounds strange to me though

Thanks dude. I didn't record the guitars in any special way really. I punched in for sections, but not notes. And then just to make it sound nicer I automated some of the DI's notes to be a little more snappy for the initial attack. I do that a lot for some stuff. I then just slip edited the guitars.

yeah, it's that fucking "snap" that's giving me eargasms. seriously, you've gotta let me in on how you do that!

yeah, it's that fucking "snap" that's giving me eargasms. seriously, you've gotta let me in on how you do that!

well.. 99% of that sound is in the playing.. Source is where the sound is. But the technique is easy.. I just split right after the initial attack of each note, then for that small section (the attack) I automate it to be a little louder than the rest of the note.. It makes it sound a little more even that way.