BEHEMOTH RULE

dan weapon

Planet Smasher
Nov 14, 2005
Aberdeen
www.myspace.com
Never really checked out this band before, but as everyone here seems to cream all over them, thought I'd listen a bit harder.

It's superb. I bought the Apostasy the other day and having been spinning it loads.

So - what is everyone elses recommendations, and what do you particularly like about the band? Personally I'm more into death than black metal (haven't really enjoyed any black metal since 98!) so I'm guessing the newer stuff will appeal more to me.

I'm assuming the responses will be Demi god, Apostasy and Evangelion (when it comes out) - largely due to the slick as fuck production.

FUCK YEAH DAN, I can relate about being really late to the party with some bands, but man, you are in for a treat with these guys, my favorite extreme band without a shadow of a doubt :headbang: Demigod is incredible as well; I personally much prefer the humongous vibey production on The Apostasy (especially the kick and ridiculously natural, deep, unaugmented-sounding snare, compared to the hideously replaced one on Demigod and the equally hideous "tick tick tick" attack on that album's kick :erk: And come to think of it, even though it may be slightly fizzier, I prefer the overall hugeness and body to the guitars on The Apostasy over Demigod too), but the music on Demigod is as good if not better IMO. Evangelion is good, but honestly is the weakest musically out of their last 3 IMO, and the production really pisses me off (nasally, thin guitars, barely any bass, and average drums, though the toms are amazing I will admit - however, it seems my fears about a thrash guy like Colin doing a Behemoth album were not unfounded :cry: ). Zos Kia Cultus is really good too, as is Satanica (a little more BM on this one, but by no means all fucking KVLT or anything :loco: ). Haven't listened to Thelema 6, need to get around to that...

Behemoth are fucking amazing!
I like Demigod most tho, but I havn't listened to The Apostasy nearly as much (Evangelion even less).

Marcus, read your PM's more often :(

Easily one of my favourite bands and biggest musical influences.

I love the songwriting and the production on the Apostasy immensely. I am probably one of the few who prefers both of these aspects to Demigod. I think the songs on Demigod are more 'consistently good' shall we say, but I think The Apostasy has the better songs on the whole, if that makes sense... :D

I can't wait to buy Evangelion as soon as it comes out. It is some of my favourite production I've ever heard. I think the guitars sounds huge, the drums sound tight, Inferno's performance is amazing (as is Nergal's vocal performance) and some of the songs totally rip my head off. I am not sure if the songs grab me as much as the two albums before this so I will have to give it a much more in depth listen soon.

I think Thelma 6 and Zos Kia Cultus are amazing too. I enjoy the jump in songwriting and production from Zos Kia Cultus to Demigod, and Thelma 6 has some really simple, straightforward songs that are very enjoyable.

Their other stuff is great too but I haven't listened in great detail.

Yes! Behemoth do rule, you speak the truth. I like demigod the most, I like the production, its good. Sure, it could be better but it gets the music to the listener, aggressively! Comma comma

o_O Think it's time to invest in some new monitors Dylan :D

:lol: Nah my monitors are fine.

I can tell by many posts of yours and mine with relation to our own tones and other people's tones, that our tastes may overlap in small places, but they do differ immensely.

Lol @ Marcus. I've not actually given this a proper listen and am in no rush to do so, I don't know if it's because I'm still pissed off with what happened in the mixing process or nothing jumped at me.

I definitely think I'll give this one a skip. IMO ZKC/DemiGod is the behemoth I prefer. Apostasy was definitely my favorite production (on the drums at least).

For me The Apostasy is a lot muddier and less defined than Evangelion even if it has more vibe and is less sterile. Also, while too robotic, the snare in Evangelion sounds soo much better than the one in the Apostasy. Same with the toms. I have to agree the kick is a lot better in the Apostasy, though.

I'll probably get flamed for what I've said so far but just to make sure, I'll say that IMO the production on Evangelion fits the album's music more than that of Apostasy.

Well people love to hate on The Apostasy's production (ERMZ :D), but I fucking LOVE the deep mighty "crock" (rather than "crack") of the snare on it, and how it just sounds so natural while IMO still sounding full and consistent. Ditto on the mighty roaring (but perhaps slightly fizzy and muddy) guitars, so that all is an agree to disagree thing. HOWEVER, I could not possibly put into words how much I disagree with this:

Shadow Walker said:
I'll say that IMO the production on Evangelion fits the album's music more than that of Apostasy.

This is Behemoth, not fucking Machine Head for fuck's sake! ARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH COLIN :cry:

Well people love to hate on The Apostasy's production (ERMZ :D), but I fucking LOVE the deep mighty "crock" (rather than "crack") of the snare on it, and how it just sounds so natural while IMO still sounding full and consistent. Ditto on the mighty roaring (but perhaps slightly fizzy and muddy) guitars, so that all is an agree to disagree thing.

Come on Marcus! The snare is the worst thing on the album :erk:

Well people love to hate on The Apostasy's production (ERMZ :D), but I fucking LOVE the deep mighty "crock" (rather than "crack") of the snare on it, and how it just sounds so natural while IMO still sounding full and consistent. Ditto on the mighty roaring (but perhaps slightly fizzy and muddy) guitars, so that all is an agree to disagree thing. HOWEVER, I could not possibly put into words how much I disagree with this:

This is Behemoth, not fucking Machine Head for fuck's sake! ARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH COLIN :cry:
Guess it's one of those snares you either love or hate.

Yeah it's not Machine Head...more like Dimmu Borgir's latest albums which are not that dissimilar sounding to Evangelion.