Behemoth's Best

Behemoth's Best?

• Total voters
From the Pagan Vastlands for the BM period

Satanica for the death metal stuff.

Overall, a very mediocre band.

I didn't vote any of their BM stuff, because i don't like their BM Behemoth era. As for the DM, the choices are obvious, Demigod and The Apostasy.

I voted for Pandemonic (I accidentally voted for only one...) but Grom would have been my other pick. I liked the Black Metallish texturing on Grom. Pandemonic was just one of the least boring records for me. If I was to rate it I may give it a 70% roundabouts.

I liked the ...From the Pagan Vastlands Demo a bit. I heard it a few times. I didn't like much of their other stuff too much. If I had to I would jump all the way ahead to Demigod for my 3rd-4th favorite though.

The production on Grom is one of my favorites in Black Metal. It's "stormy" if you know what I'm saying.

Pandemonic Incantations is a nice mix of black metal, death metal, and a few symphonic twists, but it lacks cohesiveness. I still love it, though.

What a fucking brilliant band. I don't think any band can dethrone them as my favourite band. I'm seeing them in less than a month.

I chose Demigod, Satanica, And Apostasy in order of my preference.

Also I don't think they were paricularly great during their BM era.
Demigod. Slaves Shall Serve and Conquer All are pure brilliance, and in The Reign Of Shemsu-Hor I have finally accomplished my quest to find epic death metal. The vocals on that album are just amazing - heavily produced, but it works.

The earliest stuff (FtPV, Sventith, Grom, etc) is pretty weird. Sometimes they have an acoustic guitar strumming in the foreground. Has moments of being atmospheric and awesome, but mostly just seems like crap. Post-Thelema.6 is the best.

In the video for Conquer All, did anyone else think that Nergal's forehead is massive?

EDIT: Also, the drumming on the last 2 albums is awesome. Not so much the drumming itself, which is awesome but not really that original (oh, wow, a blast beat! Double bass? How clever!). The big thing is that the drum sound is perfect. That is what drums are supposed to sound like - a kick in the face.
Actually the drumming on The Apostasy is mastery. His drumming was never amazing, it was above average and suited the music perfectly, ie in Demigod, but in Apostasy he's fucking fantastic. Really really lifted his game...

This is coming from a drummer by the way.

My favourite song:

The Reign of Shemsu - Hor

The most brutal/epic song I've ever heard!

Pandemonic Incantations is a nice mix of black metal, death metal, and a few symphonic twists, but it lacks cohesiveness. I still love it, though.

Meh, I pretty much agree with this. Note that I haven't listened to Behemoth in months though & as with some of these kinds of bands I have trouble remembering which songs are on which albums or what not.

I've actually never heard any of their black metal stuff. Hmm I don't see why Demigod is the highest, it's good but not the best. Well I voted for it as one of them, but still not my favorite.

Now to go check out some older stuff.

I wouldn't go far enough to say they suck, they're just not that great & they have tendency to get boring. They do have a super cool name though. Behemoth's & Minotaur's fucking kick serious ass.

Having heard less than half of their material and seen them live one time, I have to go with "Behemoth sucks."

I don't get why people are so hostile towards behemoth, even if they're not your kind of metal it's a bit harsh to say they suck. Then again it seems a lot of metal heads say bands are good or bad, instead of saying like or dislike. I don't really get how music can be good or bad, when people listen to music for different reasons (technical ability, emotion, meaningful lyrics, ease to dance to, just how it sounds, or whatever).

And the forest dreams eternally & Demigod.The best they ever done in black & the best they ever done in death(yet).
Both albums have got one of my most favourite tunes ever,moonspell rites & before aeons came.
And who can forget-the reign of shemsu-hor,the best damn death metal balad(!) yet.

I don't get why people are so hostile towards behemoth, even if they're not your kind of metal it's a bit harsh to say they suck.
I wouldn't consider saying they suck is being hostile, if I wanted to be hostile I would have posted that Revolver cover or commented on the vocalist's tendency to use Ben Stiller-in-Zoolander facial expressions.

And the forest dreams eternally & Demigod.The best they ever done in black & the best they ever done in death(yet).
Both albums have got one of my most favourite tunes ever,moonspell rites & before aeons came.
And who can forget-the reign of shemsu-hor,the best damn death metal balad(!) yet.

"Transylvanian Forest" is one of the best songs the band has written.