Being a musician and producer, is it a help or hindrance listening to music?

Have to say I do not give a fuck whether the drums are panned audience or listener perspective. I'd haunt a guess that 99.9 per cent of people in general don't care either.
As long as what the drummer is playing sounds good, it doesn't bother me.

professorlamp said:
A good song is a good song with or without a decent production IMO

I can't say I 100% agree. I believe the production is an integral part of a song, not just an "add-on", a different production/mix approach can make or break a composition IMO, sometimes even a good/ appropiate production can make a boring composition come to life.

About the drums, I hate listeners perspective, I air drum all the time and it blows my nuts, I always mix in drummers perspective. Funny thing is Im mixing a lefty drummer right now, so it's actually in audience perspective but it has HH on left and ride on right so it's fine, the other way would be annoying to me

@Danlights, I woulnd't say a Good production makes a song come to life, maybe a suitable one. Listen to rancid,nofx or any of that stuff (althought new nofx is pretty polished) it would definitely lose its spirit if it was analysed within an inch of its life.

Then again certain music does need that polished sound, again... Suitable

I tend to think of it this way - a great song will always be a great song, but a great song with great production just makes it all the better and can propel a great song into a "classic" song. A shitty song with a great production just remains a polished turd.

@Danlights, I woulnd't say a Good production makes a song come to life, maybe a suitable one. Listen to rancid,nofx or any of that stuff (althought new nofx is pretty polished) it would definitely lose its spirit if it was analysed within an inch of its life.

Then again certain music does need that polished sound, again... Suitable

That's what I meant with "appropiate". I totally agree with you on that, when I say "good" it is entirely dependant on the song/style, not neccesarily good means polished (although sometimes it does)

I really hope you people are joking about this air drumming shit. As if that should ever be a fucking consideration when recording music... jeeeez....