Realizing I'm not a tr00 metalhead... and glad about it!

I wear patches of bands I like, not ones I hate. I may or may not be listening to metal at all at any given time. I've always listened to goth rock, post punk, industrial, punk, hardcore, also a lot of world music as well that I found had aspects of what I find interesting. I don't feel like it in any way compromises who I am. If someone has such feelings they're obviously trying to fit way too hard into a lifestyle that's just not for them. So they burn out and become average people with average tastes for average trash (Katy Perry is an example, no offense to anyone who likes her but that shit is just plain smut, Lady Gaga at least has some quirk to her music that keeps it interesting, the former, nothing in my books at least).

Yes "Metal" as a lifestyle trend is pretty fucking stupid, but at least it is not some politicized groupthink brainwash like extreme left/extreme right punk or hardcore. It is fairly innocuous and if you in any way feel like you've grown the music out I guess it was never for you. It sure isn't anything far too intelligent, none of these musicians have PhDs in philosophy or any natural sciences. Most of it is shit from the land of dragons anyway, pure adolescent escapism. To expect more from it is a little retarded. I like Metal, and I will never be ashamed of telling the world I do. I don't put on "faces" to succeed. That's behavioral indoctrination and compromise of me as an individual I am not willing to subject myself to. Will I wear a suit? Sure. Will I cut my hair for a job? Fuck that job then. You may call it not willing to grow up. I call it keeping at least some self-respect ;)

In sum, this whole "I grew the fuck up and Metal is gay" shit is vain as fuck. No one fucking cares.

I don't know if your last sentence is the crux of anyone's post here because it's definitely not mine. My op was more to do with realizing, despite being in a metal band/ long hair, wearing cargos and band shirts most of the tine etc, I'm quite far removed from a lot of the attitudes of my 'metal' peers. I don't shit on bands for being different, I don't berate someone for being religious (I am myself).. But there's a lot of expected arrogance and sense of grandeur amongst a lot of the scene that I just can't stand or don't agree with at all. It feels like the opposite feeling of what metal music mate me feel at the beginning. I was one of those kids, seeking acceptance, a Place in the world, strength to be who I am. But sadly, that slowly gives way to how a 'real metalhead' acts. It's just juvenile to act superior to people for that reason alone...

Yes I know many "metalheads" can't grasp why anyone wants to listen to "weak music" and wear "gay clothes". The hate/disdain is part of what comes with a group of people being a minority and being aware of it. Simple animal defense mechanisms. I try to be above that behavior, or in other words, I can't see the point/it is a waste of time. But throttling back on your personal appearance or music taste because it associates you with people you deem stupid is just as pointless as forcing the image/taste package on yourself in the first place to "fit in". I never sought acceptance, never felt like a "scene guy". I hung out with people, jammed music, drank beers. What metalheads do. Like I said, if it bothers you now, and you did all that just to "fit in", being out of it ain't nothing to brag about. NHF these are just my thoughts.

Religion will always be a terrible idea to 90% of metalheads, something you gotta just deal with. I kinda like it that way though, I understand why you might not. I don't get any more kicks out of offending religious folk than i get out of berating music I don't enjoy/cannot appreciate. Again, a waste of time ;)

Been there, done that. Still... i feel alot more comfy metalshows then in for example a dance club. Noticed similar discutions on an other (metal) forum years ago. But in some it went that far that if like brutal metal gernes, you were actually a narrow minded being according to those who called themselves open minden. While all those openminded ppl had the same oppinion and same musictaste.... yea :puke:
There is only one thing that counts, your life is yours, you decide how to live it.