Time to call it a day?

^^^ Generally he's right though! Born in the wrong era me thinks!
Don't worry, your golden time will be after all this shit! People will use reinforced ribbon mics for metal drums, samples will be a thing of the past... no more breakdowns... i'll stop here... i got a little excited and completely unrealistic haha

Just sounds like your burnt out. None of these thoughts would come from a relaxed position, they're telling you to slow down/have a break! I was totally burnt out by metal for a bit finding it unimaginative and bland. Hey wow how many times can I chug an open string. Got a telecaster, opened my eyes big time. Rock is a tele custom neck pickup and a cranked marshall. Started playing around with synths, learning to program. Then splurge on some new metal cd's and its all new again! Gateways off abrahadabra is fucking amazing. Those drums are MASSIVE and listen to the shit going on around them. Something I only found after a long day working on rock, decided to treat myself to some metal to finish off my ears.

Personally, while I still love metal more than probably anything else in my life, I've recently been listening to A LOT of progressive/classic rock, e.g. Pink Floyd, Asia, Genesis, Yes - such awesome stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
Just do the audio thing on the side or not at all and only for your own music if you really don't like it. Or don't produce metal bands anymore...

There are many things in this world that are far more interesting and challenging than audio production. Maybe you need a new hobby, or a new career path. I see all those threads of you trying to emulate people like CLA; that's cool, but you could probably have a bit more fun with production if you said fuck it to those techniques and made your own style.

Also, if you got into something else for a while, like a new career, or the start of a new career... at say a university... you might find that you REALLY don't like it and much prefer the monotony of editing shit guitars, sampling drum sounds, and autotuning the fuck out of shit vocals. Although I doubt you'd hate uni, it's not there only for mindless corporate accountant cubicle cattle. There is so much more to life than the clusterfuck called the "music industry." And there is nothing wrong with walking away from it, or taking a break to see if it's what you really want.

Try some bands that are doing something different with metal:

Mr. bungle
Polkadot cadaver
Stolen babies
Carnival in coal
Estradasphere
Vladimir Bozar
Secret chiefs 3
Car bomb
Crotchduster
Dog fashion disco

I've got musical A.D.D.

How so? Not too familiar with the band.

Definitely not traditional metal. It combined alot of hard electro/death/black/ambient arrangements and was recorded over like 3 countries, over a hundred tracks of audio/song and a whole bunch of other cool stuff that was in their press kit. The vocalist on non, or on of em, jarred, has a band from sydney called the riot and the trauma for anyone interested.

I can't really relate... Honestly, there is so much good music out there that I barely have time to give it all the attention it deserves.

Sure, there's tons of shitty music out there, but there's plenty of great stuff out there too...

My take on this is that it's similar to how perhaps the guys who got into metal in ~78 felt when they heard Morbid Angel and Deicide. Some of them liked it, most of them didn't. I recall a funny rant by Bruce Dickinson in the 90s (may have been early 00s) about how he didn't understand the subgenres of metal. He had no connection to it, didn't enjoy it and didn't see any distinction in the bands.

I got into metal nearly 10 years ago and you could easily call me a 'true' guy up until last year. I still really dig a lot of the core bands. Point is I see The Acacia Strain being to Whitechapel as Slayer is to Megadeth - Same genre, same playing techniques, same general production. Different feel, subtleties and such.

There is hope yet. Djenty stuff is taking off at the moment. That will likely bubble up and everyone will hop on that bandwagon. It's just how it goes. Two years ago I was listening to City by SYL and thinking 'metal hasn't come any further since 1995'. Since then I've found out about Djent, Deathcore, Modern Death Metal (and Tech Death, which has exploded into a genre with stylistic elements unique to it recently).

Metal will continue to grow, and as engineers we will have to record a lot of generic bands. That's just part of the job - the evolution of heavy music will go on. If you weren't doing core bands, there are a lot of other genres that are just as samey with hordes of bands that you would be doing to make your living. At least you aren't doing bar bands!

In general, I think a lot of people miss that as you get older you have a much much greater database of things you've experienced and heard. Therefore less and less will seem fresh and innovative over time. There was a period in my life when I was genuinely excited about a new band every week. It's down to one or two a year now. The good news is that, at least for me, you shed all of the silly rules and boundaries that make some stuff off limits.

Anyway, if cookie cutter metal isn't doing it for you then don't do those records. But, if you don't want to do a 100% triggered "bedroom" mix then that's on you. You have the faculties. Do it the way you think it should be done.

Film score mixing is a tough nut to crack BTW. I have some friends that do it and it's quite competitive/volatile though the pay is good when you're working.

Technical Death Metal exploded into a genre with unique stylistic elements years and years ago.
It's just far more produced sounding nowadays. Clean production and reverse snare bombs all the way yo, but tech death was alive and kicking from, well a very long time ago.

But I dunno, tech death is a weird one, where you make the distinction between technical yet it being just "death metal" (such as death, nobody says they're tech death do they?) Portal is some of the most ridiculously technical shit I've ever heard and that's certainly not "tech death." Gorguts is technical but transcends it because it's all about the feeling and the technicality ceases to matter since it's just a means to an end.

Thinking out loud now, ramble ramble.

Tech death has been around since the early nineties.
But It doesn't actually have to be technical/complicated, just look at the last origin record, most of that is actually very simple. It's a riffing style.

Techno death :Spin:

Last edited by a moderator:
too much sweepity sweep sweep on antithesis
we all know informitas is the best origin :D

@HandsOfDespair: Unexpect is one of the best bands I've ever heard BUT I can't take the girl singer. It sounds like shes forced in there, she makes the band sound repetitive, the rest of the band and there music is top notch.