Time for Children Of Bodom to call it a day?

Hellion

All Life Ends
Jul 1, 2001
England
www.sonicdeath.co.uk
I expect this post to be received with criticism, but surely it's worthy of discussion?

I've almost finished my HCDR review for SonicDeath (will be online tonight) and whilst the album is good, it did leave me wondering, could they really stretch it to five albums? I know that Alexi was considering breaking up the band soon anyway, but where as some bands continue to put out sub-standard albums, surely it would be better for CoB to go out on a high?

I love all of CoB's albums except for FtR which I wasn't as keen on, and they have produced one of the best live metal albums ever. I think HCDR would be a fine album to go out on...what do you think?

Hmmmmmm....
I haven't heard all the HCDR yet but I believe that FTR is the least good of the CoB's discography. I agree that their live album is one of the best ones. I was very loved 'em when I heard SW, I loved 'em with HB, I've broken my neck numerus times with the Live Album but I was just happy with the FTR. I believe that FTR is a very good album for every other band but it can't be compared with the 2 first. I'm waiting to listen HCDR to have more full opinion but no I believe that CoB must go on. They have to show to us lot of talent and inspiration in the future.

Originally posted by Hellion
I love all of CoB's albums except for FtR which I wasn't as keen on, and they have produced one of the best live metal albums ever. I think HCDR would be a fine album to go out on...what do you think?

I didn't like FtR THAT much just like you, but still, I think HCDR is maybe (their :rolleyes: ) best album and I'd LOVE to see some new stuff. But, of course, they should stop if they haven't got anything good to release, it would be sad to see cob put out a poor album as their last one.. HCDR would be a perfect album to go out on but I WANT MORE :D

Originally posted by Shadeg
They should stop if they haven't got anything good to release, it would be sad to see cob put out a poor album as their last one..

Yep! That's right, but there are some fuckin' contracts that I'm sure that are signed to release some albums more. CoB are a good selling band and the labels won't let 'm go.:rolleyes:

this stuff scares me... i'm just as sad as anyone to see they could be splitting, but it'd be a respectable decision if they do it not to put out stuff below their standards...

Yes your facts are wrong. Let me clarify: Alexi said in an interview that if one of their albums was shitty and sold poorly, he would break up the band. But considering that Alexi and the boys are quite the perfectionists I doubt they will ever have a substandard album. I think all of them are great in their own ways.

A few ppl don't like HCD but almost every single one of them say the reason is "their earlier stuff is better" but I think that, without a doubt, this is their tightest and craziest album yet. And hopefully everyone agrees that this is their most unique and mature album so far.

EDIT: You're the crazy motherfucker who said Follow the Reaper was "pedestrian" and even more surprisingly "speed metal". Or someone on your site did. Tell them their mother is a whore for me.

Originally posted by Hellion
I expect this post to be received with criticism, but surely it's worthy of discussion?

I've almost finished my HCDR review for SonicDeath (will be online tonight) and whilst the album is good, it did leave me wondering, could they really stretch it to five albums? I know that Alexi was considering breaking up the band soon anyway, but where as some bands continue to put out sub-standard albums, surely it would be better for CoB to go out on a high?

totaly agree man

Originally posted by Stun
Yes your facts are wrong. Let me clarify: Alexi said in an interview that if one of their albums was shitty and sold poorly, he would break up the band. But considering that Alexi and the boys are quite the perfectionists I doubt they will ever have a substandard album. I think all of them are great in their own ways.

A few ppl don't like HCD but almost every single one of them say the reason is "their earlier stuff is better" but I think that, without a doubt, this is their tightest and craziest album yet. And hopefully everyone agrees that this is their most unique and mature album so far.

Well, I read the exact same thing when Alexi said it, and to be perfectly honest, if they keep putting out the same album over and over again, sales will go down. Or at least not grow as they band members must wish them to do. Now, I haven't heard HCD yet, but from the various reviews I've read, they're not straying to far from the CoB formula, right?

Alexi doesn't strike me as an extremely patient or tolerant person. I can't imagine CoB will continue much past 1-2 more albums, not without doing something semi-drastic to their sound.

Originally posted by markgugs
Alexi doesn't strike me as an extremely patient or tolerant person. I can't imagine CoB will continue much past 1-2 more albums, not without doing something semi-drastic to their sound.
I agree.:(

Yes your facts are wrong. Let me clarify: Alexi said in an interview that if one of their albums was shitty and sold poorly, he would break up the band. But considering that Alexi and the boys are quite the perfectionists I doubt they will ever have a substandard album.

IMO Follow The Reaper was substandard.

EDIT: You're the crazy motherfucker who said Follow the Reaper was "pedestrian" and even more surprisingly "speed metal". Or someone on your site did. Tell them their mother is a whore for me.

It wasn't me, but I do agree that it is pedestrian. Very run of the mill and quite average for CoB in mine and his and I'm sure others opinions.

And while it isn't strictly speed metal, you can't deny the speed and power metal elements in their sound.

Actually Alexi said he wouldn't let the band bleed to death. He did show signs they would be around for maybe one or two more albums only though. I haven't heard all of HCDR but from what I've heard it looks to be another great Bodom album. (BTW I feel FTR is the best and cleanest Bodom album). I think CoB definitly have it in em' for at least another 2. We'll just have to watch interviews to see what Alexi thinks about the future of the band. I hope they are around for a good while tho! :headbang:

Originally posted by arraken1
i don't really think cob is "true finnish black metal"
rather melodic death metal for me..

I think he was joking...

...and can somebody please explain to me how they are melodic death. What exactly about them is death metal? Cause I sure haven't heard any death metal band that sound like that.