Guitarists listening to Opeth

Dante's Inferno said:
It's these chords I suck at, they sound awful when I play them:
x
How do you guys mute the middle-string?
In that example I just fret the 8 and the 6 with two fingers and similarly pick those two strings with two fingers of my right hand. Not sure if that's the recomended method, but it works for me (the trick is to be able to switch between using a plectrum and then your fingers).

almost play

but instead of your index finger being flat, raise it up a little bit, still in contact with the middle string....this mutes it..just keep practicing holding down the middle string with your index finger, it becomes normal after a while.

I do that, except when they are played on acoustic I prefer to finger pick the 2 because the pick playing the dead string usually makes a gay noise.

I've been playing guitar for 3 years now... and I've recently begun playing Opeth stuff. I'm probably good enough to play any of their songs(except for some of the überfast solos) with enough practice, but I don't want to learn TOO many of their songs.(I want to keep my own signature style)

TattooAnt said:
Since getting into metal and playing guitar as a youngster, i've realised I have 2 modes of listenening to music: either just listening to it whilst relaxing, or playing my guitar along to what i'm listening to. I'm quite a competant guitarist and can play approx 50% of all Opeth's stuff properly, so I really get a kick out of playing my guitar along to their CDs. However i've found that songs I consider to be my favourites whilst playing my guitar along to them are different to the ones I like best when just listening without the guitar. I've found this with most other bands too.
Just wondering if anyone else was like this?

Of course. My favorite music doesn't have guitars, so it would be hard to consider them favourites to play along to. :p Some people don't even know how to properly listen to music, it all becomes about what instruments are doig what, and how "hard" it is, or the like. Music should be about the sound, in my opinion. :)

I generally agree with you there Mikey. But I really think how music is perceived should be left up to the listener. It would be odd if the swarms of pop-fanatics who latch onto every hook spewed out by major label songwriters suddenly started appreciating movements, sonic soundscapes ie. the ambient music that some of us love.

The style of music that I love still hasn't been invented, humorously enough. It's still all in my head. One day.... one day I'll get it down and make a genre out of it, haha.

Moonlapse said:
I generally agree with you there Mikey. But I really think how music is perceived should be left up to the listener. It would be odd if the swarms of pop-fanatics who latch onto every hook spewed out by major label songwriters suddenly started appreciating movements, sonic soundscapes ie. the ambient music that some of us love.

The style of music that I love still hasn't been invented, humorously enough. It's still all in my head. One day.... one day I'll get it down and make a genre out of it, haha.

actually, you could kind of say the same for me haha... if you consider how much time i spend making the uber experience of doom. Yeah, i'm STILL working on the SAME damn project that i probably sent you a year or more ago. It's never perfect NEVERRRR

The scope of their songs makes my head spin. I have learned the solo from "To Rid the Disease" and learned all of the Grand Conjuration minus solo. For the most part I just use their stuff for inspiration to write my stuff. I'd like to say that a lot of my work is inspired by Opeth riffs.