Guitarists listening to Opeth

TattooAnt

Nov 3, 2005
Oxford, UK
Since getting into metal and playing guitar as a youngster, i've realised I have 2 modes of listenening to music: either just listening to it whilst relaxing, or playing my guitar along to what i'm listening to. I'm quite a competant guitarist and can play approx 50% of all Opeth's stuff properly, so I really get a kick out of playing my guitar along to their CDs. However i've found that songs I consider to be my favourites whilst playing my guitar along to them are different to the ones I like best when just listening without the guitar. I've found this with most other bands too.
Just wondering if anyone else was like this?

I'm a guitarist, but I can't hope to play Opeth's music (maybe Harvest :lol: ) nor would I attempt- I'm no shredder, I have my own style and enjoy it. Still, I do like to hear the guitar parts of Opeth because they are indeed quite cool.

TattooAnt said:
Since getting into metal and playing guitar as a youngster, i've realised I have 2 modes of listenening to music: either just listening to it whilst relaxing, or playing my guitar along to what i'm listening to. I'm quite a competant guitarist and can play approx 50% of all Opeth's stuff properly, so I really get a kick out of playing my guitar along to their CDs. However i've found that songs I consider to be my favourites whilst playing my guitar along to them are different to the ones I like best when just listening without the guitar. I've found this with most other bands too.
Just wondering if anyone else was like this?

I also enjoy playing along with the cds, but I tend to play my favorite Opeth songs, as decided when only listening. Playing along just makes them better. So my favorite songs are the same in both 'modes'.

I'm a bass player and I like figuring out Opeth riffs, but a lot of the time the bass is so low in the mix or indistinct that I don't really hear it and I end up teaching myself the guitar riffs on bass (Bleak is a good one, or the beginning of The Moor). This is why I really like Morningrise, because the bass is so pronounced on that album and the style is much different.

Jude said:
I'm a bass player and I like figuring out Opeth riffs, but a lot of the time the bass is so low in the mix or indistinct that I don't really hear it and I end up teaching myself the guitar riffs on bass (Bleak is a good one, or the beginning of The Moor). This is why I really like Morningrise, because the bass is so pronounced on that album and the style is much different.

Why don't U use some program like Guitar Pro, Power Tab or read the tabs in some tab-websites?

I think Credence is a great song for bass player to figure out its sound.

I dont really spend much time playing other artist's work. I mostly just work on my own stuff. But warming up with a few Opeth songs is great :)

I used to learn Opeth songs very very frequently. At one point I was able to play a very large chunk of their discography but since I've forgotten most of it.

I mainly played along for enjoyment, as well as building technical skill, but since... Opeth's songs really aren't a challenge to play on guitar any more so I play other stuff to push myself technically.

I think it's important as a guitarist, much the same as with working out to build muscle, that you need to be pushing your upper limits constantly, no matter how good you perceive yourself to be... you can always be better.

And that's the end of my $0.02 philosophy.

Silent Song said:
I'm a guitarist, but I can't hope to play Opeth's music (maybe Harvest :lol: ) nor would I attempt- I'm no shredder, I have my own style and enjoy it. Still, I do like to hear the guitar parts of Opeth because they are indeed quite cool.
You don't need to know how to shred to play Opeth songs.

Just learn chords and some rhythm.

I'm pretty sure Mike can at least shred a little but what he plays in Opeth doesn't require shredability

Ahh moonlapse, the fact that you can fucking shred that lepper affinity solo and you did it after not much time at all amazes me. Silent song, its ok to admit that youre just not that great of a technical guitarist, i'm really not either, but to say that your "style" is different is just beating around the bush. I dont have the ability to burn through runs and arpeggios like mike and peter do, but im not gonna say its because of my style. Its because im just not that good. I'm much more of a finger picker, but i know mike can do that shit too, so clearly its not my style that hinders me.

But to directly relate to the thread creater's message, i would say that when listening to music, i appreciate it on first its melodic and harmonic content and secondly on its technical prowess.

I consider myself an average guitarist, if even that, and I completely suck at "shredding" but I can play, for example, the Leper Affinity and Grand Conjuration solos pretty easily, they're not that hard, and definitely not shred solos.

I consider myself a bad guitarist but I can play a few parts, such as the start of 'White Cluster' and 'UTWM'. But I suck at solos...

I suck balls on guitar (I'm a late starter) but I'm going to learn some Opeth stuff. I can usually get my head around something (as long as it isn't really fast) it just takes me fucking ages. Teenagers learn everything very fast compared to people in their late twenties, so if you're young, spank your guitar as much as possible! And if you're old err... play it anyway...

Back more on-topic, I'd just be inclined to learn whatever my favourite tracks were.

chomps said:
You don't need to know how to shred to play Opeth songs.

Just learn chords and some rhythm.
This is my point. I know "chords and some rhythm" but without the solos, how am I supposed to play a complete song? :Spin:

Not that I actually care to, as much as I appreciate their music, I'd rather be working on creating my own than learning someone else's.

I can shred (a little), but I find that Opeth songs are much more fun to play than say Dream Theater, Necrophagist or Megadeth. They're just damn cool.
The only solos I don't find as fun to play would be the ones from Orchid (except for FoO), but the rest of Orchid is really fun.
You look at Opeth from a guitarist's perspective, and their songs have got everything except for shred.

what i meant by the term was this: i am untrained in alternate picking, sweep picking, and anything of that nature. i can tap decently, but i have otherwise no motivation to learn these other techniques as i'm currently happy with the sounds i can make. my music doesn't demand it, so i care not that there are many "better" players out there. i appreciate skill of course, but it's not of as much importance to my own playing as note-choice, melody and overall groove.

i'd have to say the song "when" is really fun to play on guitar, also one of my favorite songs. although i like to play drapery falls on guitar, im kinda tired of listening to it.

i can play a good bit of opeth's stuff, the only thing that hangs me up sometimes is the intricate acoustic interludes...just takes me a while sometimes to get those down. also the more difficult solos...although opeth is a great band to play cuz their solos are generally not that difficult.

btw, does anyone have trouble playing "the moor" the rhythym part while the lead part is playing that cool little lead ditty, you know what im talking about...the one around 5 minutes into the song....the rhythym under that i couldnt get so i gave up. i learned everything up to that point though, which is pretty fun to play. anyone have problem with that part?

I've never found opeth songs that hard - only found a couple of riffs hard to master from opeth when i first started learning them and the fingerpicking parts are hard. I don't think they're exactly difficult, but they're complex and excellent fun to play. I love how they hardly ever play the same thing and are always harmonizing.

I can play the entire To Bid You Farewell and Harvest (can't remember the solo of the latter though). Not that hard, but takes a long time to memorize (TBYF, not Harvest). The biggest problem for me with is not necessarily the speed. Nothing goes fast in the beginning anyways. It's these chords I suck at, they sound awful when I play them:
x
How do you guys mute the middle-string?