"Berlin" (Axe FX, Rock content)

Alexchapel

New Metal Member
Feb 7, 2011
What's up dudes, this is my first post, my name is Alex. I play in a band called Whitechapel, i'm sure some of you dudes may have heard of us. I've creeped around the forum for a while but wrote this diddy so decided to post it!

I got bored of writing metal so I decided to try my hand at writing a radio rock riff and it turned out pretty sick! It's in E standard but I got a pretty massive guitar tone from the Axe FX.

Guitars are the JCM900 amp boosted with the TS-808 and JCM2000 cab with the Royer 121 mic on the Axe FX. Used my EC-1000 6 string with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. Bass was an American Fender P-Bass and Guitar Rig.

Toms and Cymbals are Superior Drummer, Kick and Snare are Slate.

I named it "Berlin" because it reminds me of something the band Anberlin would write hahaha.

This is honestly my first time writing a non-metal riff in probably 4 years. It was definitely refreshing hahahaha.

http://soundcloud.com/alexchapel/berlin

Also I have more "metal" stuff i have wrote and recorded on my Sound Cloud as well, feel free to check it out!

guitars sound cloudy and "undefined" to me but i think that's an desirable effect for this style of music!
i was hoping to hear a complete song, hard to write anything about a short snippet :)

cheers
S.

Yeah I agree about the cloudy guitars, I tried my hardest to EQ them (hi pass, low pass, etc.) to make them more defined but I just couldn't get them to pop. Maybe it's just the nature of the JCM2000 cab on the Axe FX but I thought it gave the guitars a more "rock" vibe. Probably should have just stuck to the V30 cab like usual hahaha. Oh well lesson learned!

Guitars are a little cloudy but otherwise a good mix. That snare has a lot of crack, I like the sound of it. Would you mind uploading a sample of it?

The low end is a little bit muddy, it sounds like the kick is buried a little bit. I like it a lot though, man!