Best 1986 thrash album

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really have to look at what thrash really is: NWOBHM with the attitude of hardcore punk. Is it really music that just goes 200bpm? Or is it metal that is pure aggression that you can thrash to?

dave says there's only three "thrash songs" on MOP
If he's talking about speed there's four songs
Battery, MoP, Disposable Heroes, Damage Inc.

But if you look at thrash from the perspective of NWOBHM with hardcore punk elements, then really Orion is the only "not thrash" song because it's pretty much just classically inspired metal. Looking at Welcome Home, it's got some thrash in there.

Metallica's thrash leans more towards the NWOBHM roots wheras bands like Slayer and Exodus go more towards the punk roots.

Halelujah! someone gets it.

When the big cat puts it that way, then fairplay it might go a little further than I originally percepted - on the other hand, lets not forget that just because some parts of an album sound thrashy, it doesn't make that album (or band, though thats not the case here) thrash. In which case, all metalcore is thrash.

I've had someone say to me 'Trivium's "The Crusade" is a thrash album because three of the songs sound a little bit thrashy, therefore "The Crusade" is a thrash album and that means Trivium are a thrash band". This my fellow bum-monkeys, is complete bollocks as I'm sure you're all aware. However, the same rule can be applied to Master of Puppets - the only difference being that Metallica were dubbed as a thrash band beforehand, which means people are far more likely to step forward and immediately dub it 'thrash'. Which sadly, I don't think it is. Same rule COULD apply to "...And Justice For All" but I've not heard that record in years so yeah...

Another way to settle it is the good old fashioned rule of comparison. Listen to every (and I mean EVERY) thrash album released in 1986, and just say to yourself - which is the odd one out? If you still think Master of Puppets sounds closer to thrash than all the others after that, then please do me a favour - go home and stop gaying up my thrash! :lol: (I was kidding with that last bit!)

Seriously though, despite my undeniable dislike for Metallica and plenty of other bands I can still propose a fair argument on the case. I can appreciate what they've done and all that, same goes for Maiden, but when people bum Master of Puppets ALL the time it really fucks me off because a majority of the time, people get corrupted by the hype thats placed around it (because its mentioned so frequently and cited so often, always hailed as the best, people tend to believe it and just buy into it so when they get the album they've already got the mindset that its the best thing ever. Thats my idea of it, happened to me with a few records before!).

The same can be said about Among the Living, Reign in Blood and Rust in Peace - good albums, almost ruined now because they're cited so often. When they were released they may have been the best things ever, but nowadays you can get albums just as good or better. Not to say any of them are bad albums (Except MoP :p) and I'm not saying 'they suck because they're popular' because thats retarded, but you can't help but think 'Why the fuck don't they listen to *insert band name/album here* as well if they love *insert band name/album here*'?

Rant over :lol: I've tried to keep the elitism to a minimum!!

I just woke up so sorry if it doesn't really make sense.
I still stand by what I said earlier.

Puppets is thrash towards the BHM roots. And I will say that it's thrash because they were thrash from the begining. I'm not afraid to say that. Trivium weren't thrash from the begining, have never understood what thrash really was, and hence, will never in their career, pull off a thrash album.

Thrash isn't really about the speed of the song, it's about the essence of the song. It should just be aggressive, which doesn't neccessarily mean speed, you can thrash to midtempo songs, you can thrash to lower tempo songs. Thrash will just make you go fucking insane, which Master of Puppets does. Musically it's diverse, it doesn't bore you with the same damn song over and over again.

Whatever your personal opinions are for anyone posting here. Whats wrong with bumming those albums? They are classic examples of good songwriting when the genre plus the time coincided to bring us excellent music. Thats why people like them so much, theres nothing wrong with appreciating good music.

This is Thrash, this is not thrash, who the fuck cares if it send shivers down my spine and makes me head bang, while shouting stuff, like "Battery!", "Angel Of Death!, "I am The Law", "Hello from the gutter!", "Everybody is doing the toxic waltz!", etc....... Its good in my book.

If you break down every song, this riff is NWOBHM, this is punk, this is rock, this is thrash, this is death, your overanalyzing, just fuckin enjoy it.

*facepalm*

I'm starting to think no one should be allowed an opinion on this until they've actually heard everything 1986 had to offer. This topic is gay, stupid, biased and full of fail now :mad:

Dammit Ocelot, look what you've done!!

+1 to Pablokers, in the end it is about the music and if you enjoy it or not.
Music is subjective, you shouldn't take it this serious.
I don't think this topic turned stupid, I think it's great and fair enough to show what's your opinion at a specific album.

its really interesting! i had my arse handed to me haha, but i have to agree, thrash isnt neccesarily fast, its about the feel of the song - aggression etc, i didnt see it that way until it was pointed out.

but still, and to keep the debate going, speed must have some bearing on it, sepulturas chaos AD isnt known as a thrash album, a lot of people say it spawned nu-metal, yet its still aggressive and heavy and even has fast stuff on it. what do you label that as?

it probably goes to show how categorising things isnt always so easy, and can be pretty damaging, look how it makes people argue...

its really interesting! i had my arse handed to me haha, but i have to agree, thrash isnt neccesarily fast, its about the feel of the song - aggression etc, i didnt see it that way until it was pointed out.

but still, and to keep the debate going, speed must have some bearing on it, sepulturas chaos AD isnt known as a thrash album, a lot of people say it spawned nu-metal, yet its still aggressive and heavy and even has fast stuff on it. what do you label that as?

it probably goes to show how categorising things isnt always so easy, and can be pretty damaging, look how it makes people argue...

I like debating with people
because people who agree with me tend to bore me

^ And people like you shouldn't be allowed to voice opinions on something without experiencing everything on the subject matter. Who starts a thread about the best thrash albums of 1986 without having heard all of them? Its biased and just another excuse for you to fellate Master of Puppets and Reign in Blood. Go and listen to all the other records released the same year and then voice your opinion, and if you still feel the same way afterwards then thats fair enough. Otherwise, I'll continue to laugh at you and call you mean names, yet be way nicer to you when the other forumers aren't around.

EDIT: And about Manipulator's post - whats all this 'you shouldn't take music so serious' crap? Music is literally all I give a flying fuck about (with the except of some of my mates obviously), thats why threads like this piss me off so much!

^ And people like you shouldn't be allowed to voice opinions on something without experiencing everything on the subject matter. Who starts a thread about the best thrash albums of 1986 without having heard all of them? Its biased and just another excuse for you to fellate Master of Puppets and Reign in Blood. Go and listen to all the other records released the same year and then voice your opinion, and if you still feel the same way afterwards then thats fair enough. Otherwise, I'll continue to laugh at you and call you mean names, yet be way nicer to you when the other forumers aren't around.

EDIT: And about Manipulator's post - whats all this 'you shouldn't take music so serious' crap? Music is literally all I give a flying fuck about (with the except of some of my mates obviously), thats why threads like this piss me off so much!

What is your favorite album of all time? Oh wait, you haven't heard every piece of music ever released so...:rolleyes:

Let's not make the situation any worse

I'm sorry, I just love the e-drama.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.JPG

It depends on what you're judging on. People here seem to be judging by "what is the most thrash" rather than "what is the best album by a thrash band"

I do think that Kill 'em All is better than Puppets though. Ride, I think it's their best work. Puppets has too many songs that I don't think are well, good. It has a lot of good songs, but Ride only has one song that I don't love on it as compared to three or four. Kill 'em All is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. It is my favorite album, but I know it is not their best. I like the mindset of the whole album and its feel is all.

If I had to pick the best overall, I'd say peace sells (no one can say, no one can know!), if I have to judge solely on how thrashy an album is, reign in blood. If I have to pick my favorite album, perhaps Nuclear Assault's Game Over? I wish I could say The Plague D:

Dave, don't be such a genre elitest.

Status
Not open for further replies.