Best 80's guitar duos

If I remember correctly, Vandenberg didn't play any of the guitar on Slip of the Tongue either. He hurt his hand doing finger exercises so Vai played all of the guitar.
you are correct!
Due to an injury, Adrian Vandenberg was unable to perform on this recording. Steve Vai played all guitars on the album. However, Adrian Vandenberg was credited as a bandmember and included in the group photoshoot in the album sleeves.

I disagree here, these guys are worshiped among their fans and put upon a pedestal by most metal fans abroad.
All musicians are worshiped by their fans. However, back in the day, you never saw Degarmo and/or Wilton on the cover of the various guitar magazines, nor did they show up in the reader polls in the various Metal mags.

Zod

Gotta throw out some love for Matheos and Aresti...surprised they haven't been mentioned here...

Rock on!

I'm definitely going with the duos of Cacophony, Racer X, and Fates Warning. What those guys did in the 80s was mindblowing.

I don't have any duos to add to the top tier of the 80s, but a second-tier duo I really liked was Jon Drenning and Ben Jackson. Those first two Crimson Glory albums have such a distinctive sound, and I think a huge part of that sound came from this duo.

On another note, I hate to be that guy, but I don't see why most people wet themselves over the pairings in Priest and Maiden. As much as I respect both of these bands, I've never really found their leads to be memorable. I'm sure this statement will sap me of all of my metal cred, but you can't all disagree with me.

On a final note, can we add Michael Angelo Batio to the list, seeing as how he can play two necks simultaneously? Just kidding.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

On another note, I hate to be that guy, but I don't see why most people wet themselves over the pairings in Priest and Maiden. As much as I respect both of these bands, I've never really found their leads to be memorable. I'm sure this statement will sap me of all of my metal cred, but you can't all disagree with me.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

It's alright to feel this way as long as you don't mind being wrong.:loco:

Just kidding.

I don't think anyone would argue that any of those guys were technically the best but I don't agree on the argument of their leads not being memorable. If anything, they are very memorable to me because they were part of the songs and not some noodling that went against the grain of the songs.

I'm sure this statement will sap me of all of my metal cred, but you can't all disagree with me.

On a final note, can we add Michael Angelo Batio to the list, seeing as how he can play two necks simultaneously? Just kidding.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Al - 0 Metal Cred -2 :heh: j/k

I think Maiden are pretty unique the way they approach the twin guitar work.
They actually did more of that the Priest did. (IMO)

Batio???!!!!! I'll say it again, he hasn't done JACK to interest me since back in the Holland days. That's why I gave you a -2 :Smokedev: Even if you weren't born yet....

1.Smith/Murray
2.Tipton/Downing
3.DeGarmo/Wilton
4..Fox/Sweet
5..Hammett/Hetfield
6.Collen/Clark
7.Mustaine/Friedman
8.King/Hanneman
9.Spitz/Ian
10.Jabs/Schenker

Good thread! When I think of the 80's I tend to lean toward bands that have one gun slinger. With that said, two of my favorite bands come to mind, whom are very different from each other! :lol:

Ratt - Demartini/Crosby
Testament - Skolnick/Peterson

~Brian~
Both duos are awesome! R.I.P., Robbin Crosby-MY fave Ratt member, forever!:worship:waah:

Smith/Murray for me - hard for me to say otherwise. I'm a Maiden maniac so that was easy.

Props to 7th Saviour for giving a nod to Michael Sweet and Oz Fox - 2 very underrated players. Seen 'em live and they are technically spot on.