3 testament
4 slayer
5 anthrax
6 overkill
7 exodus
8 flotsam and jetsam
9 forbidden
10 death

You almost need to separate German thrash from US thrash, IMHO.

US THRASH = Overkill, Nuc Assault, Vio-Lence, Exodus, Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth. (I agree that Slayer are more speed than thrash).

GERMAN = early Helloween (Though debatable too that Walls of Jericho was the first speed metal album), Destruction, Sodom, Kreator, etc.

I understand that but then again slayer is death metal too but its listed quite often on this list?

:headbang:

Slayer is speed/thrash. Obituary is pure death metal. Sepultura will be a crossover between the two.

Sometimes the lines are blurry but I believe in the case of Slayer and Obituary are well defined.

NP: Jorn - ' Duke Of Love'

You're all close, but wrong. :D

The best 80 Thrash metal band were Artillery.
Terror Squad is quite simply the finest thrash album ever made, bar none.

Terror Squad is awesome.

Personally I'm a bit partial to Testament for best 80's thrash. Annihilator and Death Angel are also up there on my list. I still have yet to look into Artillery... I may have to do that now. Haha.

when i think 80s thrash I think those bands that went big in the 80s and then broke up or little has been heard of in present times. in that case, I would say something like:
Toxik
Vio-Lence
Whiplash
Vendetta

but otherwise, if your talking about the classics, iwould say
Testament, Anthrax, Metallica

Kreator
cant beat kreator

no order
Slayer
Overkill
Testament
Vio-Lence
Death Angel
Destruction
Nuclear Assault
Sacred Reich
Flotsam and Jetsam
Sodom
Sepultura
Their first 3-4 albums sounded thrash so they belong in this list. I have zero respect for the material they released after Max left.
Metal Church
Dark Angel
Annihilator
Forbidden
and so on:):)

Personally, I don't think this should have been labeled "Best 80's Thrash Metal Band" so much as "Favorite 80's Thrash Metal Band." If you're going to label it as "Best," you should include reasons why the bands deserve that title overall, especially with parameters such as technical abilities, songwriting and overall influence.

As for my list (listed alphabetically for convenience; the first number is my personal favorite rating and the second number is my opinion of who is "best" based on technical ability and songwriting [your opinions may differ]):

Celtic Frost (3)(6)
Coroner (6)(4)
Dark Angel (2)(2)
Kreator (4)(5)
Megadeth (7)(1)
Metallica (8)(8)
Possessed (5)(7)
Slayer (1)(3)