Best album each year...

TRrEiTxIxRiE DTrash

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2001
This is a challenge! Hehe, what is yuor favourite STUDIO album from each year from 1970 to 2002?

Here I go!

1970: Black Sabbath - Paranoid
1971: Black Sabbath - Masters Of Reality
1972: Black Sabbath - Volume 4
1973: Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
1974: Kiss - Kiss
1975: Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
1976: Kiss - Rock N Roll Over
1977: AC/DC - Let There Be Rock
1978: Van Halen - Van Halen
1979: AC/DC - Highway To Hell
1980: AC/DC - Back In Black
1981: Ozzy Osbourne - Diary Of A Madman
1982: Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
1983: Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil
1984: W.A.S.P. - W.A.S.P.
1985: Anthrax - Spreading The Disease
1986: Vinnie Vincent Invasion - Vinnie Vincent Invasion
1987: Def Leppard - Hysteria
1988: Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
1989: Skid Row - Skid Row
1990: Judas Priest - Painkiller
1991: Skid Row - Slave To The Grind
1992: Slaughter - The Wild Life
1993: Can't even think of 1 so Kiss - Alive III (studio done anyway LOL!)
1994: Megadeth - Youthanasia
1995: Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
1996: Iced Earth - The Dark Saga
1997: Vanishing Point - In Thought
1998: Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
1999: Dungeon - Resurrection
2000: Pink Cream 69 - Sonic Dynamite
2001: W.A.S.P. - Unholy Terror

Can't say 2002 yet because its not finished and I haven't even heard all of the new W.A.S.P, Dio or Poison yet but they are all shaping up to be great from what I've heard from them.

Doing this, I noticed that the '80s years are really hard because there are SO many good albums to choose from... and some of the years in the '90s (such as 1993) I couldn't even really think of 1 album that would really be worthy of being "album of the year" type thing lol.

I can top this as I maintain a list of my fav album for each year from 1943 to the most recent year:

No Maiden on there as I'm not that into them, but I'm posting here anyway. 😅 I couldn't exactly find an album from 1942 I liked. There is a good Lead Belly one, but it's 6 songs in under 14 minutes so I figured it would feel out of place.

That's a pretty common running length for those old shellacs no? Libby Holman released an 18 minute 6-sided shellac album in 1942, it's the only album from that year I've heard. Seems standard...?

@CiG Yep, that's what an album was in those days - just more than 1 disc. Some of them are only 4 sides, while a few had 7 or even 10 sides. I'm just saying those 6 songs feel like listening to an EP, compared to the first 20 entries on my list which all have 8 or 10 songs (apart from U.S. Highball which is one long piece split over 6 × 12" vinylite sides).

If I could find any albums I liked from 1941 I might add it anyway so I could expand the list without any gaps, but I had no luck with that year either.

That's
I can top this as I maintain a list of my fav album for each year from 1943 to the most recent year:

No Maiden on there as I'm not that into them, but I'm posting here anyway. 😅 I couldn't exactly find an album from 1942 I liked. There is a good Lead Belly one, but it's 6 songs in under 14 minutes so I figured it would feel out of place.
I haven't even heard an album a year that far back!

I wouldn't mind compiling such at list at some point but would probably start at 1970 like the original post did.

Neither had I when I first started my list. Cream and Jefferson Airplane were easy choices though so I originally started at 1966. I only knew about 3 older albums then (The Who - My Generation, The Pink Panther soundtrack, and the Tom Dissevelt & Kid Baltan album). So I used my list as a starting point to discover stuff I liked from older and older years. My taste seems kinda warped and picky, so almost every time I went back a year I was surprised and amazed to find something worth listing. I did already listen to a bit of Judy Garland, and then Julie London was a timely recommendation from a friend that helped keep the list expanding.

Reactions: CiG