I would say:
In Flames- Reroute to Remain
Dark Tranquility- Damage done
Immortal- Sons of Northern Darkness
...and Oceans- Cypher

I have heard several very good ones, but the three best would be:

DARK TRANQUILITY - Damage Done
OPETH - Deliverance
ARCH ENEMY - Wages of Sin (bonus CD is great! Angela Gassow!)

I just ordered Immortal-Sons of Nothern Darkness, will see if it displaces one of the three above.

I also like In Flames-Reroute to Remain, but agree with others it is not best relase of the year.

In their Darkened Shrines is technically the most epic and impressive release I heard this year. However, I prefer death and roll style death metal to blast beat based so my fav was The Crown - Crowned In Terror.

Other highlights were Opeth - Deliverance, Nightwish - Century Child, Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin

and I really must check out symphony x that people keep raving on about.

Originally posted by Soilent Goat
Seriously why are half the people posting choosing Opeth's Deliverance? Call me a fool and stone me but I have Still Life, Morningrise, and Blackwater Park and I really was never able to really get into Opeth..they kind of bored me. Then I heard that Deliverance was different..it was all just the "brutal" if you will, side of Opeth. So I said hell yeah I'll check this out and it bored me way more than any of the three albums I mentioned above..Someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong here..please..

That´s exactly how I feel too!!! I have really tried to find the obsession all Opethfans talks about, but either way, I cant listen to a whole album of theirs... It´s not just because it´s too soft.. That can sound good at times, but....? Shit, "Blackwater Park" was a great disappointment, so when I heard "Deliverence" was supposed to "be brutal as hell", I though they had really found the right sound. Dont get me wrong. I really think they have improved, and they are some great musicians, but still... It´s boring...

"Deliverence" though, I can see why people talks about all the time, but there´s so much better out there...

Immortal... Sons of Northern Darkness

Honorable mentions...

Opeth - Deliverance
Hate Eternal - King of All Kings
Nightwish - Century Child
Symphony X - Odyssey
Bloodbath - Resurrection Through Carnage
Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder

Originally posted by ~UlvedaL~
That´s exactly how I feel too!!! I have really tried to find the obsession all Opethfans talks about, but either way, I cant listen to a whole album of theirs... It´s not just because it´s too soft.. That can sound good at times, but....? Shit, "Blackwater Park" was a great disappointment, so when I heard "Deliverence" was supposed to "be brutal as hell", I though they had really found the right sound. Dont get me wrong. I really think they have improved, and they are some great musicians, but still... It´s boring...

"Deliverence" though, I can see why people talks about all the time, but there´s so much better out there...

not for you then, happens with hundreds of bands. obviously, for us opeth fans, there isn't better out there. won't bore you with why I/we love their music so much, i'm sure you've heard it ad nauseum. if ya don't like 'em, move on to the next guys.

AND, second order of business... NecromancerAlpha... SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT THE GODDAM NILE ALBUM, PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY!! If you're going to make a general thread like "best album of the year", don't turn it into a forum for Nile fanboy drivel, you're making a complete assclown of yourself... i understand you're apparently something of a Nile fan, perhaps, and ETDS was a decent album, but please... there are limits as to how much we need to fucking hear about it here. thanks for the time, guy.

I liked Nile's In Their Darkened Shrines myself, with Sons of Northern Darkness coming in at a close second. The Sham Mirrors was a bit too...outlandish, but quite good nevertheless.