Best amp for metal?

Francarus

New Metal Member
Sep 8, 2006
So what do you guys think? What's the best amp, around 50 watts, for metal? I'm looking at a VOX AD30VT, and bypassing the marshall MG30DFX...also, I heard the Roland cube would be good, too...so screw it...tell me what you think! Thanks-

Nebulous said:
Don't waste your money. No matter where you live a 5150/ 6505 will be cheap and sound as metal as you want.

the only thing to consider here is that a 5150 might be too loud for practice at home and whatnot, but if you plan on rehearsing with a band or playing live, don't even think twice

so, like I said, for around 50 watts and something reasonable (n0t $800) this is for the room to practice in, and maybe jam with a drummer. I have a line 6 2 112, and I really don't care for it. It sounds kind of cheap! I know that others love it, but ready to move on and was thinking about the VOX vt series. OK, any suggestions would be great! thanks-

5150 combo
I run mine thru a hotplate and a Marshall 1960AX cab(greenbacks) with the hotplate I can run the post gain at 4 (to get that sweet fat 5150 sound)
and I don't bother anyone else in the house.
You can get them on EBay for under $500.00 almost anyday of the week.

50W amps? Depends what sound you want:

5150 - Pretty intense gain. Carcass "Heartwork" if you track it right or any of the swedish thrash bands. The new boutique amps like framus and krank kind of remind me of the original 5150

Engl - I think the thunder is 50w. It may not compete with a drumkit in practice so well but tracks real well and sounds good at low volume levels. Opeth's Still Life is all Engls and sounds fantastic.

Laney GH50L - Has all the attack (crunch) of a modded marshall but breaks up a bit differently. I like it a lot but it's more of an old school feel. Opeth's Ghost Reveries is almost all laney I think, as well as one guitars on any Mastodon album.

A modded marshall jcm-800 is still IMHO THE sound in traditional metal. I was just watching the Death Live in LA DVD and those things are godly. They need to be cranked to sound good. Plus modding can get expensive.

Go Laney or 5150 for budget, ENGL, VHT, Marshall (the 800 though!) cost some more. Stay away from Krank unless you get sponsored. Framus too as they sound good but cost waaaay too much.

D.

The Vox AD series are great. go for the 50 or 100 watt versions. They sound so great. Perfect metal tone, along with tons of other kinds, vintage, clean, and so on.

Peavey 5150/6505 is simply the best for the money. About $500-700 for a good shape used head. Framus Cobras and VHT Pitbulls are also great amp heads but getting up there in price...around $2000+. Another great amp is the Engl 100 (if you are lucky enough to find one) or the 120. One of the best sounding swede metal albums, in my opinion as far as tone, was Predators Portrait by Soilwork. They used 5150 with an Engl Savage 100. I also believe they used a marshall for some of the solo tones but I dont remember what model...probably the jcm 800.

sajien said:
Peavey 5150/6505 is simply the best for the money. About $500-700 for a good shape used head. Framus Cobras and VHT Pitbulls are also great amp heads but getting up there in price...around $2000+. Another great amp is the Engl 100 (if you are lucky enough to find one) or the 120. One of the best sounding swede metal albums, in my opinion as far as tone, was Predators Portrait by Soilwork. They used 5150 with an Engl Savage 100. I also believe they used a marshall for some of the solo tones but I dont remember what model...probably the jcm 800.

sorry, but there is no such thing as an ENGL 100 or ENGL Savage 100. there is the ENGL Savage, the Savage SE (out of production) and the Savage 60 (out of production). the Savages however are/have been used by a lot of metal-bands, as well as the Powerball and Fireball (and the Special Edition, but this modell is much newer)

it also depends on where you live: Mesa for example are kinda "cheap" (lol) in the US, but WAY overpriced in europe, with ENGL for example its the other way round

The best lead tone I've ever heard was spat from a carlsbro fatboy. Really ass kicking FAT sound. Not sure how it'd cut with a band, but for practice, it just screams. Chunk and clarity. Makes you think your shit riffs are actually good, just sounded shit through your pissant excuse for an amp.