Best Band From Finland?

Amorphis and Finntroll....and I think Amorphis is doing better work now then ever...

!!!XYSMA!!!

"I do, an do an do... I do, an do an do... YEAH!!"

Great band. Anyone mentioned Delorion (sp) yet?

Mordicus were pretty good too. They went from being a decent Carcass clone to being an even better Entombed clone (circa Wolverine Blues).

I like 69 Eyes too, but not the last album.

And who can forget Hanoi Rocks? I saw that McCoy and Monroe are doing a show at the Tavastia. I hope it makes it to the UK.. I saw Mike Monroe on stage when he sang Taxi Driver during The Backyard Babies' encore, and he looks like he must have been in formaldehyde or something since the 80's!

I've had a few beers tonight. I'm off for a lie down :)

Amorphis. Elegy and Tuonela are indescribable (is that a word ?)
A shame about that Am Universum thing - too banal. I hope they will recover.

-----------------------
NP: In Extremo - Verehrt und Angespien

Hmmm, hard to pick, they've got so many good ones. Let's see, ...And Oceans, Children of Bodom, Demilich, Azaghal. There, narrowed it down to 4, anyhow.

Originally posted by D Mullholand
Amorphis. Elegy and Tuonela are indescribable (is that a word ?)
A shame about that Am Universum thing - too banal. I hope they will recover.
Funny..I feel Am Universum is their best album..and more fresh and original then just about anything this year so far...next to only Hollenthon.

Vintersorg is from the north east of Sweden... aside from the fact that my ex boyfriend was obsessed with Vintersorg and knew everything from his birthtown to his favourite dessert, believe me, Finns don't speak Swedish like that... :)

So why hasn't anyone mentioned Sonata Arctica yet? :D

Originally posted by Vortex
Sonata Arctica translates into Sonta Arktikakka in Finnish.

LOL! This was good one! :)

Seriously speaking, Charon is one damn good Finnish band also. And outside metal, CMX and YUP are both excellent in their own way.

-Villain

I had to witness Sonata live a week ago, and I must admit I thought to myself: they might have some melodic potential it they had the guts to drop that silly power-metal drumbeat for a while. Then to my complete surprise they went into a slower song but it totally sucked, like a second-rate Scorpions. Oh, well. ;)

I must say, I really like Sonata Arctica. I'm a sucker for power metal with bits of prog thrown in. Haven't heard the new one yet, but come Sept 4th, THE U.S. RELEASE!!!!!!!!!!! Well, my 2 cents.....

Originally posted by Onan
shame on you! no one mentioned Skepticism, Dolorian, Shape Of Despair and Thergothon! some of the best doom came out of Finland.

Agreed! There's some damn good doom metal over there! Don't forget Unholy and Rapture. Shape of Depair is my favorite out of all the Finnish doom bands. I heard Pasi from Amorphis is doing vocals on the new album. Kick ass. Aside from that...Throes of Dawn is awesome. Tehni - just incredible music...I wish I could understand the words. And though many might disagree, Amorphis keeps getting better IMO.

AMORPHIS!!!!!!!!!!!! i like old Sentenced and The Black League as well. ive never heard of Shape of Despair and i havent had a chance to hear Skepticism yet. And to agree with DotNoir, i gave Nightwish a chance cause i have heard so much about them and bought Wishmaster.......and that is some cheesy ass shit the music is not horrible but her voice is too...i dont know its too something it sucks and the lyrics can be horrble at times. Do they have better albums or something??
Jay