I need opinions on bands HELP

Marduk - If you like Black Metal, give them a listen... their latest album is not bad at all
Burzum - Varg is obviously an idiot, but he still managed to put out some great atmospheric black metal (Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Filosofem)
In Flames - Nice melodic death
Bolt Thrower - Not bad, but too unvarying
Soilwork - Thrashy melodeath, okay but soon boring
Samael - You should at least check them out if you haven't already; they're not among my faves but quite original

Recommendations:
Before you get albums by In Flames, Soilwork, etc., check out Dark Tranquillity - they're the best at the melodic death style.
Besides that, I agree with Sigma: You should definitely get Virgin Black's "Sombre Romantic" and Green Carnation's "Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness".

i don't quite understand all the hype over soilwork..i bought natural born chaos and it's one of my least played albums..i can't explain it but i just think it really sucks...it's unoriginal and the choruses are irritating..perhaps the bringer is ok and i actually thought mindfields was the best song..the rest are...not worth mentioning at all

soilwork- amazing band, they truly grow with each release, anyone who can't appreciate the talent and maturation of these melodic death masters is a fucking moron

:wave:

well, not precisely..I like the two first releases but the latest two are rather pale in comparison to the old stuff.

My 2 cents on the bands you mentioned that I have heard:

Burzum - what is all the fuss about? badly produced, and rather dumb "black metal", badly recorded, and with only occasional moments of that elusive mysterious greatness

In Flames - excellent melodic death stuff, get anything up to and including Colony. Favorite CD's: Jester Race, Whoracle (i dont know their earliest stuff that well). Dont like their new stuff at all, I have Clayman but it sux major, and I'm not getting their newest CD, they can go to hell for all i care.

Amorphis - the old stuff was pretty good, I really like the Black Winter Day song

Vader - Peter & co play some monsterously fast and heavy stuff. Doc (drummer) is probly one of the best (in terms of speed and accuracy) in the scene. Not the most creative stuff on earth, nevertheless always manages to bring pure aggression out of me.
oh, and see them live, they're a fuckin tank waiting to roll across your corpse

Old Mans child - very fun blackish, trashy, slightly symphonic metal, with keyboards and such. Satan rulez and all that shit type message. Pagan Prosperity and Ill Natured Spiritual Invasion are my top cds. Ill Natured was one of my favorite Cd's for a long time. Very well produced.

Children of Bodom - very technical, fast, with keyboards. Very melodic. I like their Hatebreeder CD. Some of the best guitar work, but unfortunately after a few months i have put it aside and havent listened to it since. Personally, i think their music lacks something that would make you spin the cd again after a few hundred listens.

Zyklon - someone described it as angry Emperor who cant find his keyboards. If you liked emperor, and myrksogg, you cant go wrong with this cd. Highly aggressive blackened trashy death. I dig the vocals too.

also to check out: dimmu borgir, borknagar, ulver, at the gates, novembre, kat

Haven't heard all of those bands but I'll give my opinions on what I have heard.

Burzum - Downloaded a song and couldn't get past the first 10 seconds, garbage.
In Flames - Anything before Colony is great. Whoracle, The Jester Race, there were two before that that I haven't heard yet but I'm guessing they're good too. Colony is decent, and Clayman sucks.
Bolt Thrower - Nice heavy death metal, don't know too much about them cause I've only heard a little bit while my friend listened to 'em
Vader - More good death metal, I'd buy a CD if I could find it, heh
Old Mans child - This was Dimmu Borgir before they became Dimmu Borgir I believe, or something like that. Haven't heard any of their stuff but I like dimmu borgir
Soilwork - I saw them live, don't waste your time or money on them.

When you do get your cd's order them from www.TheEndRecords.com someone gave me that site and it's GREAT! Cheap, cheap prices and free shipping in the United States. Can't beat that.

i don't quite understand why everybody says clayman sucks??i thought it was not too bad..although not particularly fantasitc..on the other hand...natural born chaos sucks ass

I'm not in the mood for long descriptions...instead you get these short, highly informative & subjective statements.. :cool:

Pyrexia - who?
Marduk - solid
Suffocation - buy or die!
Burzum - crap
Enslaved - unpretentious
In Flames - great in the past & great nowadays
Bolt Thrower - boring
Anathema - highly emotional music...recommended
Amorphis - once gods, nowadays with a tendency to mediocrity...
Vader - bah
Immortal - a must!
Old Man's Child - no need to know them
Soilwork - Ok ...much talent in this band...
Dissection - killer!
Cryptopsy - noise
Children of Bodom - they rock!
Incantation - bah again
Skinless - ..and again
Defleshed - ..and again
Carcass - ..and...wait...these are another must!
Samael - 1 1/2 good albums ( Ceremony.., Rebellion )
Zyklon - listenable

it just plain shocks me. most of you guys have said burzum is crap. varg has caught some of the most amazing atmospheric black metal tunes in my opinion. strange.

but, yes, it is true the production sux ass but after all thats part of the black metal atmosphere, aint it?

Off those bands, here's what I'd go for:

Anathema (amazing band, my faves: Eternity, Judgement), In Flames (Colony, Jesters Race, Calyman, try to find the shape cd named Black-Ash Inheritance), Amorphis, Burzum (ok.....), some Immortal stuff.

Old Man's Child are ok, but I hate their vocalist...............

Suffocation- Awsome Dm with super gutteral vox.

In Flames- Great Dual guitar influence Melodic Metal.Everything cool depending on your mood.Recomend Whoracle.

Anathema- Another band that's evolved to an astonding level.Once again mostly great album with Silent-Judgement being the high points so far.

Amorphis- Not bad. Another Massive evolver

Old Mans child- Not the most original melodic BM but I worship Gene Hoglan so Ill-Natured is great.Melodic , groovy and awesome production

soilwork- I love this band.Kinda In Flames-ish pushed to an extreme (Bigger melodies,Bigger Grooves...)

Dissection- Great albums

Cryptopsy- Over-rated but decent

Children of Bodom- Umm.Not my thing

Carcass- Great band.Sorely missed

Samael- Another evolver.Liked Ceremony - Exodus.

RECOMMENDATIONS....

Gardenian - Sindustries.
Very groove heavy and Raw

Green Carnation - Light of Day,Day of Darkness
One song = 60 minutes.very different and highly epic

Lacrimosa Prufunde - Burning.
Anathema's Bastard child. Silent Enigma - Judgement combined.

Vehemence - God Was Created
An awesome DM album that's mostly dm + alittle of everything else Metal. Brutal low vox and a concept album

Suffocation - Technical DM with a very thick, claustrophobic atmosphere. Get Pierced From Within.
In Flames - Probably one of my least favorite melodic-DM/Gothenburg style bands. The Jester Race is somewhat recommended.
Anathema - I've only heard their material from A4 on, but I would say it's very melancholic with touches of Pink Floyd, especially in the later works. Judgement is my favorite here.
Amorphis - My favorite from this list, they've gone from being a great DM band to a great 70s prog-influenced rock band with very diverse influences. My recommendations are Karelian Isthmus and Am Universum (probably their best works overall).
Vader - I shouldn't really comment here since I haven't heard much, but this is a fairly good DM band.
Soilwork - Decent band. Steelbath Suicide is pure ATG worship (not done too well) and the new one is pretty good although the album gets repetitive after a while.
Dissection - Hmmm...I would say this band has elements of the whole Gothenburg sound while having a dark atmosphere. Storm of The Light's Bane is recommended.
Cryptopsy - Great DM band with quite a technical drummer. None So Vile is probably one of the heaviest albums I've heard without it getting tedious.
Children of Bodom - Neo-classical power metal with rough vocals. Overrated band, but Laiho and Warmen (the keyboardist) definetely can shred.
Carcass - I've only heard Heartwork and Swansong. The former has that Swedish DM sound and the latter is basically hard rock with death vocals (death and roll?). Heartwork is the better of the two but is severely overrated.

Pyrexia went pop if my memory serves me correctly, not like quasi pop but still good like paradise lost, but full on britney spears/backstreet boys shit pop.

i dunno much about many of those bands, but....

In Flames - I'd say Colony is their best. A lot of people prefer Jester Race though.. oh, and btw, the new one isn't nearly as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.

Anathema - Haven't heard their older stuff but thenew stuff is cool. very VERY mellow.

Amorphis - kinda like Anathema. Their older stuff is deathy and the new stuff is very classic/prog influenced, but not as long winded. kinda Floydian at times, too..

Soilwork - killer melodic death metal, they've grown more streamlined over the years, but no less crushing.. Check out the latest, Natural Born Chaos for some catchy but still very good metal.. or Chainheart Machine for the older more technical shit with great leads. One of my favorite bands.

Children of Bodom - not a big fan, but they certainly have a sound of their own. Very fast thrashy riffing, neoclassical techie exercises of solos, black metal styled vox, and happy sounding keyboards. they're decent.

Carcass - get Heartwork, it's classic.

Samael - I only have the Exodus EP, but it's pretty cool. Techno/industrial/blackmetal.. odd combination. Apparently the older stuff is very riff centered BM. it's been recommended to me but I haven't checked it out yet.

oh, and another band you MUST check out.. DARK TRANQUILLITY.. best band in metal today, IMO

hope that helps!