Butterfly Temple
Spear of Longinus
Solstafir
Asmegin
Fortid
Hyadningar
Ad Hominem

Thanks. :)

Spear of Longinus are an Aussie NS black/thrash band, although some of their more recent material has much more of a punk-feel to it. Good stuff, none-the-less.

J. said:
Solstafir
Icelandic pagan metal, the first EP "Til Valhallar" is stellar. It's like Burzum meets Enslaved meets Graveland with a very epic feel. Recently re-released with 2 bonus tracks, trust me on this, just buy. The full-length, "I Blóði og Anda," has more of a "rock'n'roll" feel at times, but is also fiercely original. Stuff like "2000 Ár" and "Í, Viking" off that one is just great, great epic stuff that doesn't really sound like anything else. It's not as even in quality as the EP, but worth getting as well.

I had some Asmegin mp3 , it's like Finntroll or Windir at times with more diversity perhaps .

J. said:
If anyone has heard some of these bands, please offer your opinions:

Aes Dana
Beyond Black Void
Butterfly Temple
Spear of Longinus
Solstafir
Asmegin
Fortid
Hyadningar
Ad Hominem

Thanks. :)

only heard asmegin and they are: :hotjump: - they play folk metal with black metal elements, but the folky bit is clearly dominant. it's well produced, varied and of great quality. i really recomend it, though i wouldn't compare it to finntroll really RE.dis :p

Ad Hominem are extremely raw with a clear NSBM essence. Quite generic but have great spiritual energy which pushes them into the realms of quality.

spaffe said:
only heard asmegin and they are: :hotjump: - they play folk metal with black metal elements, but the folky bit is clearly dominant. it's well produced, varied and of great quality. i really recomend it, though i wouldn't compare it to finntroll really RE.dis :p
I heard only 2-3 songs and it was a long time ago , one really reminded me of first Finntroll album though .

Asmegin is indeed similar to Finntroll/Windir, featuring Lars/Lazare of Solefald and Borknagar fame on their latest album, "Hin Vordende Sod & Sø". Saw them live at the Inferno Festival in Norway, they played at the smallest stage, and I only saw one song before giving up and running out because of the INTENSE feeling of claustrophobia :p

Yeah, that link is broken. But i'm not a big fan of either of those SOlefald voices. Still, I do like Ensiferum and Finntroll.

Erik, I'll get that Solstafir. Sounds awesome.

Hmm, Ad Hominem don't sound too promising from that description.

So no one's heard of Butterfly Temple. Russian band playing stuff similar to Moonsorrow, Thyrfing, Ensiferum, etc. Suppose to be harder, though.

Spear of Longinus sounds....different.

Erik said:
Icelandic pagan metal, the first EP "Til Valhallar" is stellar. It's like Burzum meets Enslaved meets Graveland with a very epic feel. Recently re-released with 2 bonus tracks, trust me on this, just buy. The full-length, "I Blóði og Anda," has more of a "rock'n'roll" feel at times, but is also fiercely original. Stuff like "2000 Ár" and "Í, Viking" off that one is just great, great epic stuff that doesn't really sound like anything else. It's not as even in quality as the EP, but worth getting as well.
I know where i can get the re-release of the EP. Any different from the original?

henrikmain said:
Asmegin is indeed similar to Finntroll/Windir

i haven't heard much of windir, it was not my intention to make it seem so, anyhow; the only clear resemblance between finntroll and asmegin is the folk influences which is not saying very much really since that can be conveyed in a million of ways; asmegin's music is way more technical, has a completly different song structure and incorporates more black metal elements.
and there's no humpa :D

Guardian of Darkness said:
Ad Hominem are extremely raw with a clear NSBM essence. Quite generic but have great spiritual energy which pushes them into the realms of quality.
They're the guys I keep banging on about :p Kaizer W has a great pissed off (to paraphrase THR) BM voice. His raspy vocals are practically spat out - very aggressive, just like the music.

btw i think i've heard butterfly temple, albeit only two songs or so and i don't know if they're representative, but as i recall i was pretty disappointed since it turned out to be more power metal in there than i expected.

Beyond Black Void - Very sluggish Funeral Doom. Very trebbly guitars and synths over droning bottom end. Very very very low gravelly growling vox. VERY desolate. Its not bad. Definitely not in the same league as other more well-known Funeral Doom projects.

I used ot have Butterfly Temple but I don't fucking remember that shit.

Other I dont know.