Best Bass Player

C'mon, guys... Les is awesome, but he's not exactly your heavy metal bassist, 'though he can be. And, I suppose, we're speaking about heavy metal, right? 'Cause there are a bunch of great jazz bass players as well.
To me the answer is clear - Geezer Butler, because he is not only a Godfather (one of them) of Metal, not only that he's unbelievable with bass in studio and on stage alike. He is so extremely creative, that if you think where this man comes from (I mean the background), you just can't fuckin' believe it!

infernal affair said:
steve digiorgio
joun miyumg
joey vera
muzz skillings
sean malone

classic: geezer butler

non-metal: tony levin über alles! :headbang:

Great call on Geezer Butler - how the heck could I forget him... !!!

Les Claypool - The man is a freak
Jaco - Portrait of tracy anyone??
Stu Hamm - Solo stuff is great, work on Vai and Satch albums is awesome too
Billy Sheehan - Also a freak saw him with steve Vai last year, fucking amazing
John Myung - All members of DT are freaks, but as a bass player, i find this guy more freaky than the rest. 2 handed tapping and incredible speed (he keeps up 2 petrucci whith his fingers) :worship:

For metal bassists you cant really go past frankie and Dave Ellifson :headbang:

THEBALDGUYFROMBLACKLODGEVIDEO said:
C'mon, guys... Les is awesome, but he's not exactly your heavy metal bassist, 'though he can be. And, I suppose, we're speaking about heavy metal, right? 'Cause there are a bunch of great jazz bass players as well.
To me the answer is clear - Geezer Butler, because he is not only a Godfather (one of them) of Metal, not only that he's unbelievable with bass in studio and on stage alike. He is so extremely creative, that if you think where this man comes from (I mean the background), you just can't fuckin' believe it!

Well, I can see what you're saying, but the guy can thrash it up with the best of them as well (aside from the Primus thing). Listen to ST's "Join The Army" for proof. He produced it and if you listen to some of the songs, I think it's quite clear who's playing the bass!!! ("I die a Little Each Day" for example)

After I saw the topic I instantly thought Steve Harris. Then I went through the replies and went 'oh he is good', 'he's the muts nuts', 'how did I foget him?'...blah, blah, blah.

My favs are: Harris, Burton, Bello, Sheehan and Geddy Lee