Mike Dean
Gene Simmons
Chuck Dukowski
Jerry Only
Duff Mackagan
Robert Deleo
Krist Novoselic
Rachel Bolin

I love Joey Vera's work, and Frankie of course.

Other than that, Trujilo and Mike Inez.

I used to play bass (hopefully again...sigh) and Steve Harris made me want to pick it up (but not try to play like him...jesus, only 'arry can do that), and I admired Claypool (another singular player), Flea (especially Blood Sugar--I love his basswork there), Billy Gould (follow the kickdrum), Trevor Dunn from Bungle, Jaco (just to make me want to cry--hands down the master of finger-picking electric bass--Come on, Come over, Birdland, etc.), and I've been listening more closely to Metallica and appreciating Cliff (isn't that last solo in Orion by him? The tone, the arpeggios--I swear it's him). I can't forget Donald Duck Dunn; the Blues Brothers was another formative listening experience. Larry Graham.

OK, metal--I don't like many metal bassplayers, as I think they too often dupe the rhythm guitar, but I like Rex on Cowboys (Darrell overpowers the bass on subsequent records), yes, Geezer kicks ass, I've always liked Frankie's tone on ATL, POT, SOWN, Ellefson, yes, Trujillo on Lights! Camera! Revolution!, Testament's Greg Christian (Practice What you Preach) and punk bassists like Klaus Flouride (DK), Matt Freeman (Rancid), Tony Lombardo (Descendents), etc.

Oh yeah, we can't forget Thunderfingers himself, John Entwistle (RIP)

Cliff Burton, hands down. If he had lived, he would have gone on to surpass everyone.

Anyone who says different, I will fight you.

Newsted is awesome. Aside from his playing, I think he is awesome for LEAVING Metallica when he new there was absolutley NO HOPE of things ever being good again. While the rest of them sit around, eat chocolate, and bitch, Newsted said "Fuck this, if I don't need the money, and I'm not having fun, what's the point?"

And Doomsday WAS an awesome record. I listen to it often. But you gotta keep in mind, Newsted learned all his tricks from Cliff, Lemmy, and Geezer.

I still say Cliff! The major rager on the 4-string muthafucka!!! It should have been you, Lars!!! You should of been smashed by that fucking bus!!!! I hope you die from an overdose after snorting coke of Bob Rock's dick!!!

Anyway, Steve Digorgio is WAY up there. The work he did with Control Denied holds a special place in my heart. Ever hear the begining to "What if?" What the fuck is he doing to that thing? It's awesome!

Other Greats;
John Myung, the Siamese Monter.
Steve Harris
Geezer
Geddy Lee
Can't remember his name, but the Dude from Helloween
Dave Elifson
about a dozen others who I am too lazy to name
CLIFF BURTON

Thrillho said:
Newsted is awesome. Aside from his playing, I think he is awesome for LEAVING Metallica when he new there was absolutley NO HOPE of things ever being good again. While the rest of them sit around, eat chocolate, and bitch, Newsted said "Fuck this, if I don't need the money, and I'm not having fun, what's the point?"

And Doomsday WAS an awesome record. I listen to it often. But you gotta keep in mind, Newsted learned all his tricks from Cliff, Lemmy, and Geezer.

Well, yeah, I gained a lot of respect for him when he said that he thought it was fucked up that Metallica were paying a 'performance analysist' $45 000 a week just to tell them that they were shite. Jason never seemed to gain acceptance from James and Lars and put up with their shit for 14 years and didn't say a thing.

DiscipleOfThePit said:
I'd like to stick Jason Newsted up there PURELY for Doomsday for the Deceiver. Metallica wasted Jason's talent on shit album after shit album and we couldn't even hear him on ... AJFA!

:erk:

Amen to that :headbang: It can't be much fun bein told what to play and what not to play. As well as that, imagine gettin the metallica gig, tellin all your friends and family to get this new album (AJFA) and them all laughin at you cause they can't fuckin hear you :oops:

Ahfurfuksek! said:
Amen to that :headbang: It can't be much fun bein told what to play and what not to play. As well as that, imagine gettin the metallica gig, tellin all your friends and family to get this new album (AJFA) and them all laughin at you cause they can't fuckin hear you :oops:
I hear you great record and no bass ***sounds like rapper***

whats up with that album - he sang a great Whiplash too
Jason :headbang:

I know some of these guys aren't metal but they are slammin bass players.

1. John Paul Jones-Led Zepplin
2. Justin Chanceller-Tool
3. Juan Alderate-Mars Volta
4. Allen Woody-Gov't Mule
5. Geezer Butler-Black Sabbath
6. Cliff Burton- Metallica
7. James Jamerson-Motown
8. Stanley Clark-Return to Forever/solo stuff
9. Ben Shephard- Soundgarden
10.Josh Blum-Sugertooth
11.Robert Deleo-Stone Temple Pilots

I could go on but these guys are some of my favorite players and yes i like Bello's playing but i never felt compelled to learn his stuff. Great player and is definatly in my top 20.