Best Black Sabbath vocalist

Who would you say was the best Black Sabbath vocalist?

• Ozzy Osbourne

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Ronnie James Dio

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Tony Martin

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

Profanity

The Post Master
Jul 3, 2003
Manchester, England, UK
Ozzy wasn't Metal and he made the Metal sound into a Rock sound.

Dio proved with Dehumanizer and Mob Rules that he has a very Metal voice which made Sabbath sound even heavier.

IMO Tony Martin was the best suited vocalist for Sabbath. He had a very Metal like distinctive voice which matched Iommi's guitar perfectly.

Any other Sabbath vocalist was not to be taken seriously.

What do you think? please share your opinions.

Joe Pasquale would have been the best Black Sabbath vocalist. Out of the ones that actually sang with the band, it's hard to pick. Great as he was, I can't imagine Ozzy's voice bettering Dio's on Heaven And Hell, Martin's on Headless Cross or Gillan's on Born Again. I prefer to think of the Sabbath singers as equal but different.

Ozzy was the original lead singer, and I think he did well with Black Sabbath. But, he did a better job in his solo carreer.

He was truly a good singer with Black Sabbath, but not as good as Dio was. Dio sounded great with the band. He is my personal favorite when it comes to all of Black Sabbath's vocalists.

Tanith said:
Dio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ozzy

Never liked Ozzy, in either his solo career or in Black Sabbath.
I liked Graham Bonnet bestly. "Since You've Been gONE" is the best Sabbath metal song ever. Heavy as fuck.
Who's Ozzy anyway? When was he in Rainbow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord667

I prefer to think of the Sabbath singers as equal but different.

I agree wholeheartedly. They each had their appeal and lent character to the corresponding album they were on.
On that note it is quite regretful that Ray Gillen opted out of being Sabbath's vocalist in 1987 and consequentially did not appear on Eternal Idol (except for the laughter at the end of the track Nightmare). For anyone who has had the privilege of hearing either the demo they recorded with him or any of the few live shows he performed during his short tenure, you would understand how well his vocal style went with the Sabbath material. That's not to say that Tony Martin's is in any way bad but it would've been nice to at least have one record with Ray Gillen before his untimely demise in 1993.
The only person that I thought sounded awful doing vocals with Black Sabbath was Dave Walker. He filled in during the interim of Ozzy's brief departure during the making of Never Say Die. The only readily available bootleg recording is a rough early version of Junior's Eyes done for the BBC Midlands in 1978. His vocals just did not fit in what so ever.
Glenn Hughes was fine on the actual Seventh Star record but when performing live he butchered the hell out of the classic tunes and hence was shit caned.
All in all it all comes down to ones personal preference. I like them all.